Rhino kills my internet connection

Make and model of computer? If laptop are you running on battery or with power brick connected?

MSI GS66, i9-10980hk, RTX-2080s Max-Q, 32GB Ram.
Always running on power brick connected, checked in both BALANCED and PERFORMANCE mode.

Quickly googling “MSI GS66 wifi issues” returns various problems with the wifi on this laptop (like running games stopping the wifi - great for a gaming laptop!).

Things to try based on what’s out there: Turn off the Killer features and/or remove the Killer s/w. Replace the drivers with appropriate Intel ones if possible. Run wi-fi on the 2.4 band, not the 5 and/or change the wifi channel on the router.

A more thorough search may turn up further ideas.

If other people have this problem it would be helpful if they post their computer details. Conversely, if anyone has the same computer but does not have problems an exchange of configuration details may help nail this.

Cheers
Jeremy

1 Like

Fortunately, my laptop does not have the WiFi issues you mentioned, even under heavy loads in 3ds Max and Vray renderings.
I called the MSI service centre and they asked me to change these settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel and it worked for me:

• Preferred graphic processor: High-Performance NVIDIA Processor
  • Threaded optimization: ON

The problem seems to be from the Nvidia graphics card driver settings, which will be fixed by changing these settings!

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! it seems to have solved the problem for now, been wondering what was causing the wifi issue and restarting routers

Hi all, I have a new MSI GF63 Thin 9SC laptop and was having this same issue after installing the Rhino 7 evaluation version. I tried all the suggestions in this thread and nothing worked. After much searching through online forums and a 1.5hr call with MSI service center, I have found a solution that works for my laptop. Initially I was connected to a dual band network while trying to run Rhino and was connected to the 5 GHz band which was causing the connection issues. Changing to the 2.4 GHz band is the fix.

*Open Device Manager
*Open the Properties for your wireless driver under Network Adapters - mine is Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz
*Go to the Advanced tab
*Scroll down to Preferred Band and select “Prefer 2.4GHz band” from the drop down menu

You may need to restart the device for the change to take effect. Mine immediately switched to the 2.4 GHz band and then when I opened Rhino the wifi connection remained stable.

The post by [michal.tofik.olszewski] on this MSI forum had the solution:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/wifi-turn-off-or-goes-very-low-every-time-i-play-a-game.311977/

Hope this helps!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Pollination plugin expired

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone still has this problem and if there are any new fixes. I’m using a Lenovo Legion 5 with Intel Core i7, and I’m also experiencing network problems when using Rhino. When I launch the application, my internet connection is so slow that I can’t do anything else. At first I didn’t realise it was because of Rhino, so I tried every network fix I could find on the internet, but nothing worked. Now that I know it’s because of Rhino (when I’m using Cinema 4D or other memory-intensive software and I don’t have internet problems, so I think it’s specific to Rhino), I’ve tried allowing it through the firewall, changing the settings in NVIDIA control panel, and even changing the preferred band to 2.4GHz, but nothing has worked.

At first it wasn’t really a problem, I would close the app when I needed to do a search or something, but now I use V-Ray and it’s a nightmare to download materials and models. I’m thinking of finding a new 3D program even though I’ve used Rhino all my life. My laptop is brand new and I don’t have time to waste on such technical problems.

Thank you in advance for your help !

Hi Sebastien, I have the exact same machine for a few months now and haven’t observed this. Any ideas on how I can reproduce or narrow this down? My initial go would be to remove any 3rd party plugins, as well as any anti-virus programs that could be interfering (Windows Smart App Control active?)

Thank you for your quick response. To be honest, I have no idea. I don’t have much installed on my computer, I just use Windows Security for anti-virus and Windows Smart App Control is disabled.
Do you have any idea what plugins I should remove? It seems to work fine in safe mode, so maybe that’s the problem. Also, the only thing I’ve added to Rhino is V-Ray, but I don’t want to uninstall it and risk losing some things in my project. But from what I remember, it already didn’t work before I started using V-Ray.

I do not have V-Ray. I’m not a fan of Windows Anti-Virus and have all those apps turned off. Those seem to be the variables at the moment. If starting in safe mode is fine, start with the 3rd party plugins

(and you don’t have to uninstall, you can go to file > properties > plugins and enable load protection on a plugin, for testing)

@Japhy V-Ray is the only third party plug-in I’m using. I tried to disable it (thanks @jdhill), still have the same problem.
About Microsoft Defender do you have any idea of how the issue could be related to that, and what should I use instead ?

I’m not wholly familiar with the various anti-virus programs, like i said, i don’t run them and would just wipe the machine if anything happened. There are some that heavily monitor programs/internet traffic or in the case of Windows Smart App Control restrict.

Check your services, i think V-Ray had service that runs in the background.

Can you post your systemInfo (type in the Rhino Command line) heres mine

SystemInfo

Rhino 7 SR30 2023-5-10 (Rhino 7, 7.30.23130.11001, Git hash:master @ 92e6bbd255ee28a4168ed9e8d38a590062283b45)
License type: Commercial, build 2023-05-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 11 (10.0.22621 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [99% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 7-27-2022 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 12-21-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 527.99
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-21-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.2799
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.30.23130.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.30.23130.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.30.23130.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.30.23130.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.30.23130.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I tried disabling everything in Windows Defender, but that didn’t solve the problem. As I said, I also tried disabling the V-Ray plugin, so it seems that this is not the problem either.

We seem to have more or less the same information on the system, but maybe you will find something !

SystemInfo

Rhino 7 SR29 2023-4-17 (Rhino 7, 7.29.23107.03001, Git hash:master @ 5f05ef3a2eea3d910c4c2fb79ccc75b413d33ca7)
License type: Educational, build 2023-04-17
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 11 (10.0.22621 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [80% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 4-18-2023 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 4-25-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 531.79
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-25-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.3179
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.29.23107.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.29.23107.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.29.23107.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.29.23107.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.29.23107.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi @SĂ©bastien_WegmĂŒller,

I’m not familiar with your pc, but as it’s a gaming laptop, I’d look at power management and/or gaming settings that throttle “non-essential” subsystems when the GPU is heavily loaded to reduce the heat load.

HTH
Jeremy

1 Like

The problem seems to be fixed !

Thanks @Japhy @jeremy5, I can’t believe that after all I’ve tried to solve this problem, it was just a feature called “Network Boost” in the Lenovo app, which was supposed to prioritise games over the network, but was just causing problems for me. I also disabled a “WiFi Security” setting in the same app, I don’t think this was related to the problem, but you never know with those features.

Sorry to have taken your time as this is not really related to Rhino, but I hope it can help others.

4 Likes

Thank you for mentioning it, I wouldn’t even thought about this if you didn’t post it here. Thank you!

Changed the NVIDIA settings and disabled lenovo optimizations (although couldnt find the network booster).

The problem is now gone, thanks!

2 Likes

Just had this issue occur on my windows 11 PC. I hadn’t opened Rhino 7 in a couple months and when I tried opening, it could not validate my license and killed my internet connection. Internet would come back each time as soon as I closed out of Rhino. I spent a few days trying to remedy via the suggestions in this thread.
The problem seemed to resolve itself today when I tried opening Chrome while keeping Rhino open and then clicking Run Network Diagnostics from the Chrome browser. It listed a Default Gateway error and prompted me to restart my router, which I tried several times before with no success, but for some reason resetting it this time while keeping Rhino open seemed to resolve the connection error and I was able to validate my account.
I had also reset my network adapters, performed a network reset (via Advanced Network Settings menu), and manually updated my Wi-Fi Driver, Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller Driver, and Xbox Wireless Adapter Driver, but I did not see immediate results - only after I restarted the router with Rhino still open did things finally correct themselves.

1 Like