Rhino keeps crashing my computer

(Maltesimmer) #1

I recently downloaded Rhino onto a relatively new computer with 8GB RAM and Core i5 5300U 2.3 processor and it keeps crashing, locking the computer with a little wheel turning as if it is trying to process.
Any idea what might be causing this?
thanks
Malte

(FPU) #2

Do you use the integrated Intel GPU?

(Maltesimmer) #3

I’m not sure, I’ve attempted to find out online but have not been able to figure out how to determine that.
thanks

(John Brock) #4

Open the Windows’ Device Manager.
Expand the Display Adapter section.
What do you see listed there?

(Maltesimmer) #5

Intel® HD Graphics 5500

(John Brock) #6

Hmmm…
Actually, the HD 5500 is a fairly old GPU, an d not a good choice for Rhino for Windows.

Assuming Windows 10, here’s a link to the current driver:

Any luck?

(Maltesimmer) #7

I purchased this Lenovo X1 because it has the trackpoint button and a touch screen. Turns out it has a customized computer manufacturer driver and the intel wizard is recommending not to install the generic Intel driver… Thats what I get for wanting my preferences.
I’ve determined that the crashing happens when I use my mouse center wheel to scroll in or out, I’ve been using the using the left button and CTRL button with more success. It appears I might have to live with this or get a new computer!
thanks for your help and if you have any other suggestions let me know.
Malte

(John Brock) #8

Before giving up, I’d make sure all of the drivers for all the laptop systems were up to date from the Lenovo site. A new computer is NEVER up to date when you receive it.
I’ve personally have had a rough go with Lenovo in the past and avoid them. Mostly because they seem very slow to update the tweaked drivers for their laptops and netbooks.