Rhino.Inside.Revit

I was just browsing through rhino’s website and found this really interesting link, but have no idea what the end goal is, and was hoping someone could give some insight into it

From what I understand it’s a WIP feature that hasnt yet been implemented, but would any rhino dev be able to tell me the scope of this? Such as - will it allow you to create families using nurbs? inbuilt ifc functions? integration with gh? a rough timeline?

Really exciting if it improves workflows between the two programs,especially for stuff like customisable curtain wall panels.

6 Likes

The Rhino Inside project is now live. Please give it a try: https://www.rhino3d.com/inside

The Revit sample has been expanded to show a few ways to create objects in Revit.

2 Likes

Use this URL until the pages are translated to the other languages:
https://www.rhino3d.com/en/inside

Hi All,
I just came out from the AEC Interpolations Events.
During the Hackathon The team I was working we where able to deploy Rhino Inside not only as a plug-in for Revit, we also were able to create a live real-time connection between the Rhino Kernell Called From Revit but the exciting part of all of these it’s was we link in real time not only GH + Rhino + Revit we also linked SAP 2000 to run some structural simulations. And also we tested the workflow with ETABS.

From my point of view this just Came out as a WIP and there’s a lot of work to do but the future it’s really promising.

My team and I we are going to make an open source repository on GitHub In the few coming days.

It has been a while, is the Hackthon project still up on Github?

Hey Scott checked out you videos great work.
Im curious if you have any answer to object styles when cutting.
I am working with a doubly curved roof that acts like surface made model (ie how it was built in Rhino).
I would like to add poche to my cut location. I am able to do this with Curtain wall mullions however i cannot seem to get the same results when cutting the form. The form was generated directly from grasshopper and looks great just need to get to that next level on the cut. I can manipulate the surface color and pattern on the roof.

Thanks Gjergji

Hi All! For those of you wanting to get started with Rhino.Inside Revit, we’ve put together a series of introductory videos made by @scottd . You can download the tutorial files from GitHub.

We’ll be adding more material as it becomes available!

2 Likes

The key to being able to control the Graphic Properties of an object including the hatching and cut line properties is wrap the freeform object(s) in a new Family and insert it into the model. Once it is a Family, then you can select it and adjust its Graphic Properties. This makes wrapping it into a Family superior to a simple DirectShape.

The general flow of components is:
LoadNew.Family > Type > Insert Family

I can post a sample up here tomorrow if it would be useful.

1 Like

Hello Scott,
Thank you greatly for providing us with those videos. I am having some issues with adding material/painting an imported object in Revit after importing it as a family from from Rhino Inside. I am not sure if it is similar to what @gjergjishkurti is having issues with but I think a example might help me some!

Thanks,
Skyler

Hey @samaroste
Sure thing I think we can help. Would you mind giving a little more info and sample files of what you are trying to do so I can run on my side and test out?

Thanks and welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

Hi All!

Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this but here it goes:

I have been trying to improve the workflow between massing studies using grasshopper>rhino>revit although I can’t seem to find a way to implement the grasshopper script in a way where when I am doing roof forms for Revit to register the massing as a roof form. This would be very beneficial as the walls would automatically adjust for the roof and all that good stuff. So far I have only managed to create a flat roof from "roof from boundary " but I can’t find a way to then edit that roof in grasshopper, any suggestions?

Thank you thank you!

See this Revit Geometry (Walls) Wont attach to Rhino Geometry (Roof)