Rhino I love you but

I would imagine that Make2d will eventually incorporate this information. @rajaa may have a better idea how this would be added to Make2d.

An exploded object? Do you have a sample? I’m having trouble following this one. Thanks

I’m sure we’ll have a command to extract section geometry.

I’m not sure if you’re doing something wrong. You should be able to set the hatch to None in the command for objects. By default objects have their hatch set to none; only the objects that you select in the command should have hatches adjusted.

The ability to assign a different print thickness for cut edges would be a huge advantage as well.

Currently, we have the ability to assign the display thickness of cut edges which shows up on ViewCaptures, but not when printing .

2 Likes

This development of Clipping Plane/SectionTools is great but maybe better to switch to some other discussion? Sorry @stevebaer if pop in about this.
I think that original scope of this discussion, as pointed out by @felttippen was to

of drawing.

Make2D is useful sometimes but we definitively need a modern way to place on layout view/sections/details/etc which are dynamically linked to 3d model

2 Likes

Clipping lines would be even nicer.
They could act as if they were extruded.

I agree that clipping lines can be nicer to work with. These are really just a different way to represent a clipping plane and the background technology to achieve a goal of hatched sections is the same. It’s the background technology of dynamically generating curves and hatches that we are working on at the moment.

3 Likes

I’m confused right now… People at McNeel are doing what is already done by VisualARQ Asuni staff?

This is needed by so many and not only by architects who use VisualArq. And asuni is not part of McNeel as you might know, so building it into core Rhino is great!

6 Likes

+1 for BOM.

2 Likes

Clipping planes can obviously only result in convex sections, since they are infinite. Not sure if this would satisfy people’s need for this tool, since concave sections are quite as useful. That’s of course why clipping lines, including jogs, would be much better. That’s the way VisualArq sections work.

However, when there would be a clipping lines (with or without jogs), it’s extrusion direction would have to be defined somehow. VisualArq for now only allows for vertical sections (they have plans to allow for free sections anyway).

I ask the same question.

Of course this should be part of o.o.t.b. Rhino. Since it wasn’t 10 years ago, Asuni saw their chance and implemented this, as well as many other things that should actually be there per default (another example being dynamic blocks, defined by a Grasshopper script. But that’s off topic).

Which now raises the dilemma: people rightly want features that are already there in the (somewhat costly) plugin. If McNeel implements them, it would make many users happy, but diminishes the selling point of VisualArq. Also, does it make sense to re-invent the wheel?

Maybe we users should not need to care about such internal affairs. Yet it can affect usability if suddenly there are e.g. two section tools that do very similar things, and maybe even result in problems when used in tandem.
McNeel and Asuni are neighbours in the Barcelona office. Do you talk to each other? Share some tech?
For the end product, this would make definite sense.

Sidenote:
As an architect, I want to see VA thrive. As I see it, it’s a fine (and maybe the only) chance to escape the iron grip of Autodesk Revit, and Graphisoft ArchiCAD in the european market, to get to work with a BIM solution (Rhino+VA) that is powerful, flexible, easy to learn, and comparatively cheap. VA isn’t feature complete, but the potential is there.

Anyway, great that there is progress with sections in Rhino now! Please just take care that things ‘fall into place’ nicely. Maybe Asuni can (and should) then use some of the new code you are introducing.

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

You are correct @Eugen in the limitation that only convex sections can be created with clipping planes. Jogged sections are something we would like to eventually support, but I don’t know if we’ll get there in Rhino 8 (too hard to predict at this point).

There is a lot of work here in making sure this new functionality is available in the Rhino SDKs as well as getting things to work on Mac. Adding these features to core Rhino means that plug-in developers like Asuni can use these in future versions of their products.

3 Likes

Great topic and I’d like to add two items from the very terrible software platform that is Revit.

The first is elevations and sections playing together nicely. You can have a section cut that shows the information behind (items not cut) in elevation view, with a large amount of control about line weights etc.

The second is scale specific detail. This doesn’t make as much sense in Rhino, given that we’re not using BIM style objects and so on, but having some control of line thickness, hatch types etc dependent on scale is on my wishlist regardless.

The less time I can spend in Revit and the more in Rhino, the better for me.

6 Likes