Rhino Grasshopper Voronoi Cell Size Point Attractor

That is very bizarre. I saved a file as a .gh and tried to open yours, and it still will not open the file

Are you opening the file from within Grasshopper? Sounds like you are trying to open it from explorer… - and that won’t work…

1 Like

Open from grasshopper. File > open. Or open grasshopper and drag the file into grasshopper. You cannot open grasshopper files by double clicking them.

1 Like

Much better!! Thank you all so much!!

Thanks Michael, I will definitely use .gh now.

I came up with another question. If I wanted to distort a voronoi diagram that is bounded by a rectangle (making cells larger or smaller based on distance to the point), instead of just scaling the cells down the further away from the point they get, do you have any suggestions for how I might go about this? I just want to make sure that the cells are all tesselating.

This is what I have right now.
PrecedentStudy1.ghx (293.3 KB)

@DavidRutten gave you a good description to try for something like that.

So I should extrude these cells in the z direction so that the ones I want to be smaller are extruded more. I am confused about how intersecting that volume with the XY plane would result in cross sections that touch each other. The way I am envisioning it at least, the cross sections would still be the same size as the footprint of the cells.

No extrusion. Use voronoi 3d.

Would I scrap what I have and make a Voronoi 3D from scratch? I’m sorry for all of the questions - I am having trouble conceptualizing why this would work

Something like this…(ignore the red - it’s just because some intersections miss, which is expected)

Voro3dIntersect.gh (10.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks so much Michael. I was messing around with your definition, trying to understand how it works, and was wondering why it only worked when the bounding rectangle for the Populate2D was 20 x 10. I also wondering why the definition makes a 2D voronoi diagram when you use a 3D voronoi component. Does it take a cross section of the 3D one and only show that particular cross section? Thanks so much!

why it only worked when the bounding rectangle for the Populate2D was 20 x 10

It works for any rectangle…

Does it take a cross section of the 3D one and only show that particular cross section

Hover over the end component (the one in red) and read its description.

I tried to relocate the rectangle to forming from another point, and it stopped displaying it. I figured that it was likely due to the values the domain was remapped to. Can you explain what the remapped domain component was doing? I really appreciate it. I think that was the same problem with when I manually drew a rectangle, instead of using the rectangle component. That was why I didn’t think it would work for other rectangles

Not sure what you mean. Here works fine if I draw a rectangle.

Here is the updated file. I don’t know - it was not working, and still is not working for me
PrecedentStudy1.ghx (533.4 KB)

The problem is with the 3D voronoi component right now

The problem is two. You have bounds connected to the wrong thing. Also you changed the remap target to some other numbers. They need to be 0 to 1. The graph is mapping 0:1. You were out of the range of the graph. Here is fixed.

PrecedentStudy1-fixed.gh (17.7 KB)

Thanks a lot!