Rhino/Grasshopper INSTANCES

Over the years, I’ve used many plugins to make archotectural renderings inside Rhino.
With the release of 8 (I’m on mac), I can finally render with good results directly inside Rhino, without plugins (thanks, mc Neel).
Anyway, I didn’t understand very well how Rhino handles the block instances. Using plugins, for example, I can insert a very big number of instances without slowness (i.e. many trees to create a forest). But, the instances of blocks directly inside Rhino need extensive calculations to be processed by cycles rendering. Someone could me explain better how rhino handles the instances inside rendering and inside the viewport?
Thanks,
Roy

When you add many block instances in Rhino these are objects that need to be handled.

The geometry won’t be duplicated, but there still need to be objects with their own transformations that reference the geometry from the block definition.

If you add thousands of block instances it still means thousands of objects to go through - that takes time.

Thanks for the reply. This seems precisely what is happening. But why can the plugins Octane render, V-ray, and so on that I’ve used as plugins in Rhino handle the instances so speedily (thousands of polygons without losing time)? What’s the difference?

errata corrige : no thousands but millions of polygons

Polygons isn’t the issue, it is the amount of objects that is typically the problem for startup. Once startup is done Cycles also can handle millions of tris and quads with ease.

And yes, the startup can be improved, and will.

Thank you very much for your reply. Good work and a good day