Rhino Geometry to Revit Window Family

Halo, I am trying to make a workflow that transfers Rhino Geometry to Revit window family.
Because it’s difficult to make this special style window family directly in Revit.

I am follow the example video but it’s not working in my case, the last error is “This family requires a host.”
Did I miss something ?

Erreur04_Family02

You need to host the window instance into a wall.
As long as I know windows can not be floating around in Revit.

2 Likes

The code is working now.
But the window family is not able to be embedded in the wall.

There is a previous post about this.
You need to define the window outline as well.

Create Window Family with Opening - #4 by kike

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the tips. Now iI managed to make a window family but with some errors.

In revit, the warning is “the opening does not cut anything”
In grashopper, the waring is “The opening does not cut anything. {253819, 254537, 254542}” . But this is a pure geometry, there is nothing at {253819, 254537, 254542}

Ideally, the family geometry and the opening curve should be defined centered at (0,0,0) this will be the origin of your family.

Is your opening curve on the reference wall there is in the family?
Yo can allways edit the Family you are creating with Revit and check whats wrong with it.

I’ve found the problem.
I moved all the rhino geometry (window, open curve, wall host curve) to the positive x-axis direction.

Now there is no error. Although I still don’t understand the principle of the code.

By the way, I still didn’t find a way to save this new family type as .rfa file.
Now I can only create a new project in Revit, and save as a .rvt file.

There is a component called ‘Save Component Family’ that should save it to file.

2 Likes

genius :crazy_face:

@kike Hello, the code is not working with the latest rhino.inside and revit 2021, there is another error “1. No suitable host object is been found”
It looks like a small error about the wall, but I don’t know what he needs exactly. Do you have some idea?

The error exist after I add “Component family opening” curve to “New Component Family”

‘New component Family’ collects all the geometry and tries to build a Family out of it.
In the case of openings it needs the family Template aready contains a Host, like a Window or Door template file do.

1 Like

Ah, yes, I had the problem with the template of revit 2021 before. I need to install the templates manually.
Autodesk Revit 2021 Content | Revit Products 2021 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

It is working now with the right window template.