Rhino for Mac Wenatchee 5 Build 2013-09-24

(Marlin Prowell) #1

There is a new Mac Work In Progress (WIP) build available, Wenatchee 2013-09-24.
This Mac release includes all applicable updates and fixes from the 5.5 release of Windows V5 Rhino (SR5).
This Mac WIP release also includes these Mac-specific changes:

• Changes:
    • The Mono framework has been updated to 3.2.1.
    • The maximum allowable anti-alias value may be limited when using multiple monitors or retina displays.
  • Fixes:
    • A bug that caused Rhino to use more and more memory has been fixed.
    • Fixed a crash when unsaved changes were reverted when Rhino was quitting.
    • Other crashes have been fixed.
Requires OS X Lion (10.7) or later.
Download Now...

Hi Marlin,

Thanks for the info. But

[quote=“marlin, post:1, topic:2564”]Requires OS X Lion (10.7) or later.
[/quote]

Do you think you can dare that on the Windows side:

“Requires Windows 8 or later”?

No, because the equivalent (as the current MacOS is 10.8 and not 10.7) would be Windows 7 or later… That’s recommended anyway, although Rhino does still run on Vista and XP… The next version of Rhino won’t run on XP at all and maybe not Vista either.

–Mitch

Oops, you’re right Mitch. Sorry for the mixup with numbers, more used to speak of Snow leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion.

Just pointing out that Rhino is dropping Mac OS versions way more quickly than Windows versions.

Vista is nearly 7 years old now, XP 12 years and Snow Leopard (10.6) only a little more than 4 years.

But I also understand McNeal is taking advantage of new technologies in the OS for a new product, and even a future product, as it is still not a commercial version.

Dropping “old” OS versions in a WIP is not the same as in a final commercial product.

Yeah, I guess… But Apple also puts out new versions far more often than Microsoft… And there are apparently more important changes in Mac point versions than there are in Windows service packs, which are mostly bugfixes… What version was the MacOS 12 years ago?

Again, I guess it’s a question of resources - do you put them into development of new stuff or support for old stuff? IMO, most people would prefer the second…

–Mitch

(Marc Gibeault) #6

Also, there is a much faster and wider upgrade rate in the Mac world.

(Bob McNeel) #7

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

…soooo, is there any way for pre-os x lion users to continue using the older rhino version?

(Marlin Prowell) #9

Every WIP version expires after 30 days, so there aren’t any older versions for OS X 10.6 that still run.

…yeah, but i’m asking if there is any way to circumnavigate this situation…

(Margaret Becker) #11

I think the answer is “no.”

(Marlin Prowell) #12

(Bob McNeel) #13