Rhino: developing too slowly

I’ve done this in other forums :wink:

For us old-timers (newsgroupies), it used to be called “Plonk”… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But, if you plonk a certain user and there is a thread with other users, you will still see their responses so I think it will be confusing and you’ll end up being curious as to what their responding to anyway.

I take it for granted there will always be a certain amount of “noise” in a public forum - up to the individual user to determine who/what they consider noise vs. useful info. Thanks to the McNeel and Rhino user community spirit, there is actually very little “noise” in here.

–Mitch

To say that the development of Rhino is slow, it does not mean that Rhino is not a good program, or that developers are doing a bad job.
I only say that five years of development have a little too much, in my opinion, from the marketing point of view. No one should feel offended!

Comparison unhappy: sire a child (9 months) is a law of nature, you can not change the weather, that is!
Developing software is another question: you could make earlier, faster!

I think that many of us are forgetting that Rhino does so much for really very little money. The other cad platforms cost 5 times as much (or more) or have annual subscriptions that are just plain stupid in cost. These other cad companies also release new up dates but in reality these updates are not much different then the last revision. Rhino support is pretty cheap as well.

Yes 5 years is a long time, and there are a number of items on my wish list that may be in V6 that I am hoping for (Heavy on industrial / manufacturing design needs). But even it V6 ends up not much different Im not going to go to solid works or autocad. Because the fact is for less then $1000 Rhino easily does 95% of what I need and the other 5 percent I can get around.

1 Like

i’m not sure muting eachone you disagree is a constructive behavior.

You right, but we can also find others comparison with many cheaps program keeping fast development.

Which ones would that be, and can they do everything Rhino does now.

I probably only use about 10% of what Rhino is capable of. And if I was able to write script it would do all that I want.

Cost of ownership and support for Rhino is the best value out there. If faster development meant that Rhino was now costing $1600 It still would be outstanding value.

I was just talking about your argument that suggests that rhino development is slow because it’s not expensive.
It’s not a good argument for me, as a said many others little companies ( i dont’ talk espacially about CAD) have a faster development.

On the other forum I was referring to; about 2-5 of 100 posts I am curious enough about the context and other people’s response to the ‘ignoree’ to look…but therein is the problem with my ‘ignoree’, way too much input and only minimal value.

Not saying that’s what’s going on here, just describing my use case for an ingore…

Andrew – trying not to be noise

Some time ago I gave up a client because they insisted I work in AutoCAD (even though the files I gave them were dwg). The yearly cost of AutoCAD is $1400 if you pay yearly, much more if you pay monthly. That was five years ago. Compare that to the cost of Rhino and tell me what Autodesk upgrades were worth $7000 ($1400 x 5 years). Five years later it’s the same program. I get frustrated with Rhino as I do with any program but there’s nothing out there with the same cost benefit ratio.

2 Likes

i would look toward adobe cc for a good model. despite many criticisms of the subscription model, they release new features incrementally and continually improve the software which makes it a joy to use.

No please! I hope McNeel doesn’t follow Adobe’s policy in any terms. Here in Spain, if you need to use more than one Adobe app, let’s say Photoshop and illustrator, you have to rent the whole subscription plan, having to pay 60€/mo. Do you think those improvements worth 720€/year? I don’t think so.

3 Likes

Maybe this might clarify something

You’re the lead developer in a team of five. You’re all burnt out. Each of you is in the office from early morning til late into the evening, trying to hack away at the relentlessly growing backlog…

Totally agree…
I’m not a pro in terms of photoshop/in design/illustrator but I use it regularly. Neither am I their target/volume market being an architect.

Can’t say I notice the difference between cs6 on my laptop/home and the latest cc in the office… never tried to do something at home and found the feature wasn’t there…

I’m sure there are lots of people like me; and adobe subscription system bleeds/alienates us…

1 Like

All native file formats Adobe uses are propritary, closed source formats.

As soon as one stops paying one loses access to possibly years worth of intellectual property.
How just a single person who isn’t working at Adobe can defend such a system is beyond me.

But not only a few people do…

3 Likes

My yearly subscription ends on March 4th, and I will not renew again. I’ve been thinking a lot about this, but having to pay that amount of money just to be able to open an old file is something I don’t want to relay on. Instead I will switch to Affinity.

2 Likes

Thank you for this hint!

1 Like

You are welcome ; )
I’ve been following Affinity for a long time, and now that they’ve released a Windows version, I think it is becoming to be a real alternative to Photoshop and Illustrator for professional users. And also with the new PDF exporter for Rhino 6 everything seems like is going in the right direction.

4 Likes

no no no :smiley: as much as i wish that either, but its still quite a path for them…, not to throw more oil into this thread but at least to point out the topic-irony in which this is being discussed, that Affinity is also not very fast in their development. it took them a long time to get there and even though its becoming promising, still a lot is missing. Essential tools like the brush painter to name one important one.

also the long announced part called Affinity Publisher which was announced ages ago and promised to be surfacing at least as a beta is not here yet with no release date on the horizon → something which would really accelerate many people switching and dropping the Adobe Monster.

Adobe on the other side with its annoying never ending up and down updates which bring back old performance issues on a regular bases and never managed to get it right on mac having the same bugs nested over many years. not even talking about the CC price policy also is far from adorable… i mean its not even about being adorable, its supposed to be a tool which just should work making things possible without torturing their customers.

All in all there is nothing out there which is perfect. its running in circles round after round and it almost seems to me like its about who runs the most circles to win. in this matter i think i can say something nice about rhino, who does not make a new release in an olympia fast food manner… now if thats really good or not i leave up to you guys to judge.

Sturgeon’s law is more direct on this subject…

-Pascal

2 Likes