Rhino: developing too slowly

Rhino is constantly updated, as all software. The problem is that in 5 years of development does not show any revolution, only tweaks here and there, and improvements to the tools already present. In five years while others are born software Cad and Rhino will always stay back, slow, boring …
Even the SubD we see between different years, not now…
McNeel is a small software house, but will survive another years?

I think, at least, the Grasshopper community would disagree with this :wink:

4 Likes

Maybe you need to find another software package that does what you want, then.

According to you, this won’t change anything anyway,V7 will be the same.

–Mitch

At least we can start use NOW this tinny implementations rather than after another 5 years. Better than nothing.

Rhino development has cost you nothing. None of us pay annual support. So when V6 is released you have the option of buying it or not buying it. V5 will still work for you, and will still be supported on this forum if you decide the changes are not worth it. Maybe for you, just wait for V7, or as Mitch suggested, find something now that works for you. Rhino is just a tool. If your tool isn’t appropriate for the job, change it.

4 Likes

In fact, many use other! Among those who know …

http://www.food4rhino.com/s3fs-images/f4r/images/rh3.png

3 Likes

:wink:
eheheheh

Blah blah blah… still better than AutoCAD with all its “development” and “revolutions”…

3 Likes

Absolutely right. I have modeled a boat in grasshopper in such a way that you can see the center of flotation and the center of gravity change while changing the parameters. Grasshopper is able to calculate volumes, surfaces and mass on the fly. This way you can check how the boat will float while modelling. Very powerful. So I expect that form-finding and functional design will be the next big thing.

1 Like

Might look at the latest WIP change log and fixes. Looks like quite a lot if work for developing too slowly.—Mark

2 Likes

Development takes time, and it’s not always related to the number of developers. A baby takes 9 months to be create, you can’t do it with 5 mothers in 2 months :slight_smile:
For me Mcneel Team and all the users that cooperate here are an incredible community that it’s evolving and helping each other all the time and with respect. Everybody here wants the work done, and if you take the time to learn Rhino and the theory of Nurbs you will not have most of the issues you claim. You also have a lot of people trying to help. Don’t expect the same from other companies that are empires. Did you ever use scripts shared here? I’m not using grasshopper but as others said the potential is huge, so in the future is possible that we will have access to components created in GH that could make our daily job a lot easier. Only real jobs experience can give you a perspective of the value of Rhino.

3 Likes

not esiste software that has a long development time. I think they should hire some developer over and do the same job in half the time.

That’s a big assumption. Put new developers on a project that the old developers have been on for decades, and expect that they will solve all of the problems in half the time?

What are you smoking?

I’m still waiting for him to finally buy a license for Rhino…

I thought owning a license was required to have standing in any discussion…

1 Like

Not sure how you would prevent those voices - and they still might (might) come with valid points.

Standing … Yes, that’s another thing all together…

No reason to prevent them. I’m not suggesting that.
I just think any argument carries more weight with a little skin in the game.

2 Likes

Discourse Feature request: I’d love to be able to mute a specific user from discourse. So i never have to read his non-constructive posts ever again.

Thx!

G

3 Likes

You actually can already – last field in your Preferences…
EDIT: not sure if this is only notifications or seeing their posts - did not try myself yet.

2 Likes