Rhino: developing too slowly

Can be so Andrew, the main point here is that the market is on the move due to the changed licensing structure of Autodesk. So a lot of other Max users might consider alternatives. As a Max user all I can do is to point that out here.
I will move!

1 Like

use Rhino for Mac…
we’re always getting sweet little updates/features.
:wink:

4 Likes

There must be some development for sub d modeling tools ASAP. ¡PLEASE!

Perhaps Rhino 6 is not an interesting buy for everybody. For me the improvements in the previews, make2d, layouts, grasshopper, and high-res monitor support are more than worth the approximately 300 euro per year for the investment in a new licence, let alone the 100 euro per year that an upgrade would cost with the current development speed, and the service upgrades that are provided for free.

You focus on a limited set of tools that you find interesting and you marginalize the rest of the market that uses Rhino on a daily basis: The shipbuilding industry, industrial design, CAM/Digital fabrication people, architects, shoe designers, structural engineers, urban designers, graphic designers, software developers, jewlery designers, fashion designers, that might not share the specific set of tools that you require today.

11 Likes

wouldn’t it make sense to implement bongo into grasshopper?

yes - i also miss animations. but not for making movies, more for simple things like explosion graphics. in solidworks stuff like that is generated automatically.

making these in rhino needs many steps and involves exporting and other programs like illustrator. it’s really time consuming. when you see how quickly this is done in solidworks you get really frustrated.
especially when you change stuff - no problem in solidworks but in rhino you have to do most of the work again.

another point. i really loved penguin, but to me it seems superfluous by now. you can get very similar results, just by editing existing or creating new display modes. but the best way would be to introduce toon materials to cycles. vray has it (or had it when i tried it a while back). with silhouette multiplier an all the nice features you know from penguin. i don’t see the need for another stand alone renderer.

maybe this stuff would better belong to the “rhino6 whishlist”

Yes! That’s a very good idea.

The UI of Grasshopper would lend itself very well to Bongo, especially keeping track of geometry etc.

1 Like

I think Rhino start to be very popular and extend to another field when architects start to use it and grasshopper. That’s the turning point.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Another problem: every version of Rhino almost everything is rewritten, there are no fixed points. A bug is resolved, another 20 new ones are born! Always the same bug: the Boolean, the fillet, of even simple tools, a line, a point … (I think this is so for each software). Indeed, some complain that there are bugs or limitations that drag the earliest versions of Rhino, never resolved … (rumors).
For example, you work on Boolean tools: How many developers are committed to their realization? two? Logical would not be enough for this to work that even five years!
Rhino hurry up! Time is money and you can not consider yourself as a niche software! Only little cost content is in your favor!

I’m afraid that V6 will be the greatest disappointment ever.

Let’s imagine they’re implement about 5-10 new tools and fix about 20-30 bugs for new release each one or two year. People can start use it now already. Next two year another improvements and implementation of some new tools. And another happy customers.

But for now we’ll have to wait for 5! F*king years to see what?.. Hey, people who used to try WIP-version, have you see any revolutionary changes there? When I try it about 6 month ago, there was NOTING worth for 5 years of waiting. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Just another release which can be done 3 years ago. Some little improvements here and there. Just what the other companies do in a one year circle of development. That’s why when it will be ready (about after 10 years since V5) and you will see it, you will curse McNeel for nothing worth this years of waiting.

As I can see now, it’s too long, too boring, too ordinary and to worthless for waiting of 5 years. They should stop already and finally release this V6 to continue work for V7. It’s my opinion.

1 Like

Rhino is constantly updated, as all software. The problem is that in 5 years of development does not show any revolution, only tweaks here and there, and improvements to the tools already present. In five years while others are born software Cad and Rhino will always stay back, slow, boring …
Even the SubD we see between different years, not now…
McNeel is a small software house, but will survive another years?

I think, at least, the Grasshopper community would disagree with this :wink:

4 Likes

Maybe you need to find another software package that does what you want, then.

According to you, this won’t change anything anyway,V7 will be the same.

–Mitch

At least we can start use NOW this tinny implementations rather than after another 5 years. Better than nothing.

Rhino development has cost you nothing. None of us pay annual support. So when V6 is released you have the option of buying it or not buying it. V5 will still work for you, and will still be supported on this forum if you decide the changes are not worth it. Maybe for you, just wait for V7, or as Mitch suggested, find something now that works for you. Rhino is just a tool. If your tool isn’t appropriate for the job, change it.

4 Likes

In fact, many use other! Among those who know …

http://www.food4rhino.com/s3fs-images/f4r/images/rh3.png

3 Likes

:wink:
eheheheh

Blah blah blah… still better than AutoCAD with all its “development” and “revolutions”…

3 Likes

Absolutely right. I have modeled a boat in grasshopper in such a way that you can see the center of flotation and the center of gravity change while changing the parameters. Grasshopper is able to calculate volumes, surfaces and mass on the fly. This way you can check how the boat will float while modelling. Very powerful. So I expect that form-finding and functional design will be the next big thing.

1 Like

Might look at the latest WIP change log and fixes. Looks like quite a lot if work for developing too slowly.—Mark

2 Likes