Rhino continues to crash [SOLVED]

I tried to check the Intel site for display drivers but it’s not responding:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

This driver for your 630 came out a week ago:

I understand that we probably want to get his Intel GPU working without crashing…However, Aderosa has already indicated that if/when the NVidia card is configured properly so that Rhino uses it instead of the Intel, then the crashes go away…but after doing that, he cannot save files. I don’t see how or why saving of files is related to video drivers, or how updating the Intel drivers is going to fix the current problem.

@aderosa, I’d like to confirm that we’re all understanding exactly what’s happening on your system… Please follow these steps and then comment on their outcome…

1. Close down all running rhinos.

2. Configure your system so that Rhino uses the NVidia graphics card.

3. Start Rhino (confirm Rhino is now using the NVidia graphics card by either running Rhino’s SystemInfo command, or by going into Options->View->OpenGL and verify that the NVidia card is referenced).

4. Draw a box (do not try loading any file, just draw a box)

5. Try saving the box to a new file (I would choose a location that we know is accessible to you, like your Desktop).

6. Did the file save? Did Rhino crash? Does a 3dm file get created at all? …what exactly happens at this point?

7. Close down all running Rhino’s again…

8. Configure your system so that Rhino uses the Intel graphics card.

9. Start Rhino and confirm that Rhino is now using the Intel graphics card (using methods mentioned above).

10. Assuming Rhino hasn’t crashed, draw a box (again, do not try loading any file, just draw a box)

11. Save the box to yet another new file

12. Did the file save? Did Rhino crash? What exactly happens at this point?

If Rhino saves correctly when using the Intel graphics card, but cannot save when using the NVidia graphics card, then I’m currently at a loss for why that would be… the only relationship between saving a 3dm file and the graphics card is that Rhino uses the display pipeline to create a small thumbnail image of the active view, that is then saved inside the 3dm file…if that is somehow failing (but not crashing) when using the NVidia card, then perhaps its failure is also somehow preventing the “Save” to continue, and thus, nothing is saved…

But before going any further, I’d like clarification on everything above…

Thanks,
-Jeff

FWIW my Intel HD 630 Graphics has been solid for quite a while now.

Ok… I’ve tried everything as explained by @jeff but nothing…
Neither NVIDIA or INTEL.
Take a look to this screenshots…

@Aderosa, Do you have any antivirus software running? If so you can either try disabling the antivirus software to test if writing works better without it, or add the Rhino process to the excluded list, so it doesn’t get further checked (and potentially barred).

On my PC only Windows Defender is running…

It is also an antivirus software, try to see what happens if it is turned off (and turn it back on when tested).

Done. Nothing happened…same issue.

I tried to run Rhino in Safe Mode and it saves… :frowning:

Rhino is Safe Mode does two things:

1. No OpenGL
  2. No Plug-ins

If Rhino doesn’t crash and can save when running in Safe mode, that’s a strong indication that whatever the underlying problem is, has something to do with your display drivers or with a plug-in.

Any suggestion? I’d like to buy the software but…

Why is your perspective view set to Rendered mode in your screenshot? That wasn’t one of the things that I asked you to do…

Please follow the steps exactly as I have them… If your perspective view’s display mode defaults to Rendered, then you’re not using the default templates, which means something else may also not be set to their defaults. Have you made any changes to Rhino settings in any way?

-Jeff

1 Like

Is this an evaluation version of Rhino? If so, how many times have saved a file?

1 Like

Hi Jeff, I played a bit to see if the crashes happened before were still present. Before when I played with perspective view, Rhino crashes every time.
Actually it works fine but I can’t save, even if I use Intel or Nvidia.
When I run it in Safe Mode, I can suddenly save my files.
For example with Photoshop CC 2018, there are some known issues with GPU. Following the support, I disabled it in the Preference panel and the software works without problem.

Yes, it’s an evaluation. The problem occurred since the first time I’ve tried to save…

I’d also like clarification on what you mean by “crash”… Does Rhino disappear and stop running? Or are you just referring to the failed save dialog box that pops up?

-Jeff

1 Like

I understand that it happened the first time…obviously that’s not supposed to happen… however, the evaluation version does have a “disabled save” feature that might have kicked in prematurely for some reason… which is why I’d like clarification on your term “crash”

Thanks,
-Jeff

1 Like

Sorry, you are right. Rhino doesn’t stop running. Few seconds after the popup you see appears, a window that invites me to send the crash report appears but Rhino continues working.

Ok thanks…yes that is definitively a crash…

Please try this:

When that “invite to send dump” dialog appears, do not dismiss it…just move it over to the side so that you can see your desktop… You should see a file named “RhinoCrashDump.dmp” (note: not the .3dm but the .dmp file). If you can locate that dmp file, please post it here.

Thanks
J