Rhino App does not open

When I open the app the small introduction window appears showing the previews of my recent projects with the text indicating what is loading. Before the actual window of the app appears, the introduction window disappears and nothing happens. the last text seen is when the plugins are being loaded, such as Datasmith Explorer, Displacement or 3DConnection Mouse. Trying to open a specific file results in nothing as well.

I have been using Rhino normally recently and have not made any changes to it or to my computer. My disk had 30 Gb left available so I deleted some unrelated apps and documents, but that did not change anything.

I have tried updating, restarting my computer, repairing, installing, uninstalling and reinstalling rhino7 but the exact same thing happened again and again. I have tried the safe mode which works and tried to look for problematic plugins without success, even deleting the McNeel folder including the plugins showed no result.

I don’t know what to do and I need Rhino7 daily so this very critical for me. Thank you in advance.

below is the system info from the safe mode:

Rhino 7 SR34 2023-9-24 (Rhino 7, 7.34.23267.11001, Git hash:master @ a37d83041828484840f2448d5b3e3770e46694f9)
License type: Educational Lab License, build 2023-09-24
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 11 (10.0.22000 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-18-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: (null)
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port 1

Secondary graphics devices.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 6-2-2023 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- This device is not being used
Citrix Indirect Display Adapter (Citrix Systems Inc.) Memory: 0MB, Driver date: 1-23-2019 (M-D-Y).
> External USB display device with 8 adapter port(s)
- There are no monitors attached to this device. Laptop lid is probably closed

ATTENTION:
Safe Mode is enabled. Graphics device usage and OpenGL information cannot be collected.

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: On
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL (null) (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Unknown
Render version: (null)
Shading Language: (null)
Driver Date: 2-18-2022
Driver Version: 30.0.101.1404
Maximum Texture size: n/a
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16777472 x 16777217
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.34.23267.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.34.23267.11001

Hi Gabriel -

When in safe mode, did you make sure to uncheck all “Plug-ins that do not ship with Rhino” and then restart Rhino?

Also, when running Rhino in safe mode, we don’t get to see everything related to the GPUs in the SystemInfo report, but it looks like you have an external monitor plugged into the Intel card. It looks like your system is non-hybrid, so that would be wrong. At any rate, I’d make sure to disconnect all external monitors and try to see if that gets Rhino running in normal mode.
-wim

1 Like

And IIRC, Citrix has been known to cause problems…

Have you received a recent Windows update? These have been known to sometimes mess things up.
That or a hardware failure are the only two things that could account for such an overnight change with no immediately suspect user performed changes. At least that I can think of.

Thank you for your advice. I tried everything and only one way worked: I unticked all the plugins on safe mode. Now, I am on the normal mode and the software works. Can I just tick the plugins back in normal mode and wait until I see which one makes it crash?

1 Like

That’s the frequently recommended troubleshooting process here in the forum for situations like this.
After the culprit is found it’s then up to you to decide how to handle it. If it’s not obvious I’m sure that there are many folks here that could give further suggestions and advice.