Rhino 8 Feature: ShrinkWrap

You can _ExtractRenderMesh, then OffsetMesh, then ShrinkWrap (without the offset)

Correct

I can set it here to 0.01, which seems adequate (at least for working in mm and target 3d printing), what number should this be you think?

BTW - in general I’m pretty blown away by how this tool handles whatever you can throw at it, once you understand what it wants and needs. I nominate this as the official ShrinkWrap theme song:

3 Likes

I’ll give that a shot!

Yeah that seems about right for small stuff. The people who will be clamoring to make it even smaller are probably the jewelry folks.

OffestMesh works so well that it looks like I can just skip ShrinkWrap entirely!

Out of curiosity - does OffsetMesh and ShrinkWrap use the same method to offset the geometry? Is ShrinkWrap just using OffsetMesh in the background to do offsets?

shrinkwrap is voxel based, offset mesh is a purely mesh based operation.

fwiw, offset mesh will self intersect if you push it too far, shrinkwrap will not.

3 Likes

Ahhhh gotcha. Is there any plan to make ShrinkWrap have the ability to do a one sided offset? Seems like anyone trying to preserve OML would be into that.

can always use offset, and then shrinkwrap to clean it up if it gets messy. the two work well together

Ok very clear. Many thanks for your time and explainations. Regards

I’ve used this excellent tool a few times now with no problems and nice fast results. I’ve hit an odd problem with a hull I’ve modelled up where the shrink wrap seems to add a hard edged planar surface in to the mix:

I’ve tried various settings on mesh density and tried the original surfaces and the meshes generated from those. I can’t think of anything in the model that would cause it to throw the shrink wrap so far out from the modelled shape.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Deri

1 Like

Difficult to say without a file.

1 Like

Try first changing your Display Mesh settings, and see if you get a better result

1 Like

Since there’s no file to inspect, I would just guess that there’s an open edge or face somewhere in the underlying mesh and the Fill Holes option is selected. The Fill Holes option runs Rhinos Fill Mesh Holes command on the input mesh objects before trying to wrap them. Sometimes Fill Mesh Holes can create these sort of deviations if the hole it’s filling spans a long distance and there’s curvature along the way.

1 Like

What an impressive tool. Looking forwards to giving it a try… especially as a 3d scanner is arriving shortly!

2 Likes

Fun little use of ShrinkWrap that popped in my head today - I’m working on the Sauber C9 and was looking to make some fairly realistic high temp silicone air tubing - scat tubing if you’ve ever worked on race cars or aircraft. I’m going for the style where the wire support is covered by the fabric, not the kind where the wire is exposed. I came up with a nice little workflow that was Pipe (for the tubing) + Helix, and then pipe again (smaller, for the wire). This was then deformed using Flow along a guide curve, and then the final result was ShrinkWrapped to encase it all and give the junction between the wire and the tubing some softness - so it’s more like the wire is printing through the tubing:

Just kinda fun to take something that’s sort of a limitation (the way ShrinkWrap softens hard edges) and use it as a plus - much easier than blending the two geometries together.

-Sky

16 Likes

yes!, awesome use of this tool-

if you need sharp edges, use mesh booleans (which are rewritten for v8, and actually work pretty reliably in v8 !!)

2 Likes

Gets even better (smoother, and smaller) when you QuadRemesh the result:

6 Likes

now make a few straight pieces of different diameters, put them in a clip art file and have them for any new project you build later!

bonus points if you copy the part, and offset inwards using shrink wrap, and then mesh boolean subtract the core for a true tube-

Double bonus if you add the wire as a second object in a different material so you can see the “wire” in a translucent plastic tube…

5 Likes

Huhhhhh now you’re giving me ideas

2 Likes

nice.
Reminds me of Zbrush dynamesh.
same technology.