Rhino 8 Feature: Constraints

Maybe as an option, but not as the default. I want to see all my constraints and not have them hidden if I don’t select the sketch elements.

I have added a special context menu to help ease creating constraints. I have a video on it here. I’m hoping this makes things a little easier. Let me know what you think.

I have an open issue on fillets here. I’ll add your comments. There is a fine line to walk for having the constraints accessible without being intrusive. I do see the utility in what you’re suggesting and I have a few ideas to address them. The issue for that is here.

Ok, but what if you have many different constraint all over?
wouldn’t be a mess?

No, I’ve never experienced that as an issue in Fusion. It does hide all constraints from non-active sketches.

I’m not using F360.
In CREO when I have a sketch it’s mostly of the time hard to spot witch coincident constraint you should delete for a specific crv when they’re multiple even if it highlight the eometries.

I think that could be solved by displaying the constraints for selected sketch elements on top of other constraints.

1 Like

I agree!

Philip

No, these are not the final icons. When we first designed the icons they were only meant for the panel. That was short sighted. I’ve opened RH-69153 to redo the constraint icons so they are more readable.

3 Likes

If the icon set is completed, would you mind posting them all here so we can give feedback on them? Just a list of them would be fine. Could be just an heads-up when the task is completed. Community input on things like these usually raise their quality :wink:

Great, thanks for the feedback Joshua - - I’ll be sure to look into this…

@Joshua_Kennedy I got a crash.
I was on the World Front cplane and I copyed on sketch to a new position.
The new geometry weren’t sketch so i added them to a new one but I got the same name as before.
then I tried to rename it and Rhino Crashed.

hope this helps.

WISH: being able to copy a constrained Sketch to a new position and get a new constrained sketch in the new position.

oh woah. woah. the hotkeys and change of dimension type/alignment on the fly — neat
I also like the degrees of freedom bar. the points being pretty noticeable, and how the dimensions end up as a different color…

I have never opened blender in my life so this is wild

the box around the icons is distracting.
why not use the generic symbols used by the other guys - blender seems to be doing it…

Took a quick look at one of your videos on the history… Looks good. I’m not a huge fan of the panel to the right with the big list going – but I get it.
I’m way more into seeing everything on the part as dimensions and icons that I can interact with – the “sketch” – is there a way to turn off the constraint icons & the sketch dimensions with a button/hotkey?

WiSH: (maybe already on the list)
to have a toolbar to get access to the constraint.

Basically a CopyAndRedefineSketchPlane command. It’s a bit long :sweat_smile:
The individual CopySketch and RedefineSketchPlane would definitely be helpful if they aren’t there now.

This happened to me once or twice before but I can’t reproduce this in the latest WIP builds. I’ll keep my eye out for it though.

Yep, that’s logged here.

Logged as RH-67661. I’ll check on it’s progress since it’s not on my list.

1 Like

I added that note to RH-69153 to remove the black borders

Not currently, but turning on and off icons is planned.