Rhino WIP Feature: Constraints

Hi @wim, I tried to search on this and I cannot find my most relevant posts, did Discourse lose a lot of older data or something?

Here’s a screenshot of a CAD release done this week. All work done in Rhino by us, turned into a Parasolid assembly that then Solidworks can read and make sense of it.

This of course has no further logic of repeated or instanced parts, etc. inside is components (what used to be a layer) is a part in Solidworks (what used to be a Rhino object).

Here’s a couple of threads about the problem more into detail…

In this one @brian captured the work to be done, but he’s only talking about importing, not importing AND exporting:

That topic above was a split topic from this other one:

I also had conversations about this with @chuck a few years ago, where I described the problem to solved in this way: the collaboration roundtripping problem:

1. I should be able to receive a STEP/Parasolid assembly from a colleague/client/supplier using Solidworks. Open it in Rhino, edit some parts, and export it again, and send it back. The person who gets it back should see the exact same assembly structure as what they sent originally, bit now with my new geometric changes). Thats’ how we operate today, but it requires owning and managing all this extra $$$ software.

2. The process about should be able to repeat back and forth between Rhino <>Solidworks multiple times and the assembly structure must stay the same.

Please let me know if you need anything else,

G