Rhino 8 Development

Any chance to include a nice Dark Theme, please?

8 Likes

Would be nice if Rhino got a complete UI rework, like Fusion360. In fact, I think it should be the number 1 priority if you want more customers.

10 Likes

I also need glTF,GLB export in this version release.

4 Likes

Use _PackageManager to install glTF support.

I would like to see better mesh integration like sketchup
Sketchup is more capable of handling heavier files with ease
would like to see rhino with a better mesh integration system.

1 Like

In my experience Sketchup struggles with meshes that are even mildly complex while Rhino handles them like a champ. What specifically isn’t working for you?

4 Likes

Are you sure you’re talking about Sketchup here? From my experience it’s much worse at handling heavy meshes than Rhino. Did they have some sort of a performance update recently?
Blender, Maya, 3dsMax though… those crunch meshes like it’s nothing.

7 Likes

I used to work at an office where they used gbs worth of files easily on and when i exported the same file to rhino it slowed down my laptop. I just assumed rhino was bad at handling exports from sketchup. but was there something i was doing that was wrong?
Thank you for your reply!

Could it be that they’ve been running those files on workstation towers (quadro cards and all that good stuff) , while you tried to open the same files on a ultrabook?
All-in-all it seems the consensus is that mesh handling performance in Rhino is “really fine, but could be fine…er”

2 Likes

i had a large city model in skp. it orbitted well in sketchup but after import into rhino it was impossible to orbit. i suspect not meshes were the problem but nested blocks and groups.

When you do a Sketchup export, you tend to get not only the meshes, but every single edge around each mesh face as a curve. Try exploding your SKP import, and deleting all curves. Then run Join and Weld on the meshes.

There is a big difference between exporting from SKP and importing the skp directly in Rhino. Try both. We find that either way, things get messed up. They just get messed up differently. So depending on what you’re trying to do in Rhino (blocks, layers, colors etc), one or the other might work better.

1 Like

I’m not particularly in love with the ZBrush UI, but it’s not like the Rhino one is a masterpiece!

SketchUp is for soccer mommies (not that there’s anything wrong with that). :slight_smile:

1 Like

the difference is, we are always open to suggestions for improvement !

7 Likes

Sure, and that’s great, but do you know for certain that the ZBrush folks aren’t taking into consideration community suggestions?

I cannot agree more!!

5 Likes

Yep!
I really try hard to establish Rhino instead of AutoCAD in the office. I told an older colleague I see Rhino is even better at drawing in 2d than AutoCAD (and it is), but he said spontaneously “but isn’t Rhino bad at layout printing?” Rhino has a bad reputation here.
I for my part know (mostly) how to deal with plan layouts, and circumvent the shortcomings. It could easily replace that old retarded AutoCAD, but to convince the old school guys it will take Layouts/Details to be better, too. (Yeah, hardwired 2d CAD brains from the last 25 years. Maybe reasoning will not help at all, only a change of generation)

Now the talk is to add ArchiCAD to the arsenal, because it’s ‘so good at 2d drawing’… oh man. And the Rhino<>ArchiCAD connection sucks.

The broken record:
Please, at first, focus on the layer visiblitiy problem in Layout Details. That’s really ugly.
There’s other stuff, too, but you know all this already.
Thanks!

5 Likes

It is - especially the management of attributes (line types, fill types - why are they such a pain in Rhino?). Actually, the best would be to have a combination of the two - I really like the pet palette and the way you can modify distances relative to a point by simply typing + or - after a distance - but I really miss the Scale1D functionality of Rhino, for instance - or not having to mess with GDL objects for simple 2D blocks… Argh.

Agree. Graphisoft is getting some bash over this at the Archicad-Talk forum these days…

1 Like

And colors. The new color chooser is fine, but still global colors (= instanced colors) would be very handy:

3 Likes

I would like to see some control of dashed and continuous lines in layout when model is shown in technical view with hidden lines. This presentation of edges should have same tools for linetype and thickness management as normal curves.

I don’t like idea of having both 3d model and seperate curves for 2d drawing.

Also some dynamic section of solid in layout detail would be cool.

1 Like

Rhino8 supports output in PLT format, which is used by many cutting machines and should be used as a design and development software