Rhino 8 Development

This is a rather esoteric request but it might be easyish for you to implement.

I have a spherical HDRI file that shows earth from the stratosphere; it actually looks like a view from orbit.

You can see the sun in the image but most of the light comes from the clouds below so my model is dark on the topside and light on the sides and bottom.

So even though the sun is visible, fairly high up, in the image: it isn’t casting enough light for my purposes.

So I tried to put a directional light into the scene and I tried to put it where the sun is.

That turned out to be more difficult than I expected.

I tried:

• setting camera location to world origin
  • put in shaded mode to find the camera and select it
  • put in rendered mode to find the sun

But where has the light gone?

I’d like a single command to put the camera at the world origin and go into rendered mode then I can rotate the view and click on the center of the sun then when I complete the command a directional light is placed somewhere on a line between sun and the world origin. The light would be pointing at the world origin.

I don’t really care how it’s implemented, just as long as it’s easy to do.

To recap: I’d like some way to place a directional light in a scene that is lit with an image and have the light come from the direction of something that I can click on in the image.

I imagine that my view position would be at the world origin and I click on the screen where I see something in the image and this gives you a direction vector from origin to image that you can reverse to set the direction of any light that has a notion of direction.

I imagine that if I have selected a light b4 I run the command then this just sets the direction vector of the existing light.

Maybe I’d want to be able to create multiple lights in one go. I dunno.

Are you on recent Rhino 7, or still on Rhino 6?

In Rhino 7.10 and later an HDRi that has a very intense spot should give quite a bit of light with the changes I made along the 7 SR road.

Make sure your sun in the HDRi image has values that are very high, say values over 1000.0, (although I suppose anything over 1.0 should work).

You should not need to use a separate light source.

Maybe you can share the image file with me in PM so I could have a look?

I uploaded it using the link that you gave me ages ago. The one for large files.

Is that different from using a PM? If so, how do I do a PM?

Is there a way to edit hdri files? I thought that the sun was just a patch of pixels that is no different than any other patch of pixels in the image.

I didn’t make the HDRI file.

I am using Rhino 7.

Using that link is fine.

Indeed the area giving off light is much larger than the sun. On top you still get hard shadows though.

You could try editing the HDR (I use Blender to do such touch ups) and bump the sun value from its current 175 to say 10000. That should help guide the CDF generation that happens for the environment texture used in lighting.

If you want to help the lighting you can add a directional light. Set the end vector to be at 0,0,0. Then rotate the light so that it goes from the sun in the image to the 0,0,0 coordinate. That gives you lighting control with matching shadows. Attached a quick setup of the directional light matching quite closely the sun position, even though I did it only manually.

There is no need to move the view around like you do, just keep the directional light vector end at 0,0,0 and rotate the light around that to match.

You could add a few points on a surface where there are clear shadow features (sharp corners etc) that help you line up the directional light.

jmcauley_DH_Stratosphere_test.3dm (493.5 KB)

13 posts were split to a new topic: Mac Rhino 8 Crashing

As a Sketchup used since v4, I agree with much of what you say. And I agree the complexity of Rhino (and many other packages) is why SU became so popular in certain fields. Many of us were art students not math/computer science, (very few were both) and just the language of modeling software was foreign. Just the meaning of “curve” for example. That said, I don’t think Rhino is bloated or clumsy. I just offers more features for more creation. When I first got Rhino, I kept jumping back to SU for the speed. I slowly learned, and for my type of work I’m now pretty much up to my SU speed. I miss the functions of SU guidelines, and the ease of applying colors and textures, but now I never go back unless I’m asked to.

5 Likes

I thought of 4 Grasshopper-related requests, and I couldn’t think of many!

1.) I appreciate the (Curve-Middle and) the Chamfer option on the Fillet. Can we please have the ability to chamfer 2d planar curves, so that the chamfering can also be done before we get to 3D?

2.) Oh, please, could we have the option for Grasshopper to also nest in a Rhino Window, like this?

3.) As a big fan of comments and remarks, I wish that in icon view that we could still assign a label to a component, like we can when full names are showing.

4.) Someday, could Grasshopper’s icons look a little more like Rhino, you know, for marketing. You see, even though Grasshopper started out as a plug-in, it seems to be working out just fine. : )

3 Likes

I hope that my suggestion is taken seriously: The sphere of influence (show above) can be the clue that the SoftTransform command has been enabled.

2 Likes

Please rename RenderOpenRenderImage to OpenRenderImage.

Gumball widget called ‘axis plane indicator’ is made of one-pixel wide lines. These lines are so thin that they are sometimes invisible. Please increase their thickness to two pixels.

Where is this up to at the moment? I agree, this is really important for the user experience.

RenderOpenRenderImage command is neither on toolbars, nor on menus.

First off, I think Rhino is amazing.

I’d suggest to update the fillet solver. It’s the main area that makes entry level CAD approachable to new users. Rhino is by no means entry level, but finding a workaround for a simple fillet on a tapered surface means the relaxation (and production speed) is over.

CAD is increasingly becoming a must skill in the entertainment industry. Arrimus 3D and others with a big following amongst low caste modeling nerds like myself are reviewing CAD applications and ease of filleting comes up a lot. The market segment is growing fast and the wave might be worth catching given that Rhino is more artist friendly.

Zbrush just came out with an amazing voxel based chamfer plugin. I don’t know how they pulled it off but I can tell they’re throwing money at the demand for hard surfacing. I’d agree with a commenter above, good subd is available everywhere already and for free, so not quite on the high priority per se.

I do similar work and I think part of the problem with Rhino is that it is “all things to all (wo)men” to some extents. Reading through this thread, McNeel would have to employ 3 times the developers to try and suit all of us. To me, one of the biggest strengths of Rhino is the niche plugins that make it just right for doing the job (Veesus’ excellent point cloud plugin, Mesh2Surfce etc for our kind of work, VSR etc, I’ve used landscaping tools in the past and stuff like ORCA for specific Marine Engineering problems). I’d be very wary of wanting McNeel to embed the good stuff from niche plugins as it’ll presumably kill plugin development and lessen the chance of getting “just the tool”.
Concentrate on improving the core modelling tools, stuff like blocks, the drafting and keep the import/export side of things up to date and VERY robust. Encourage the plugins and enable those developers to make a decent income with their specific areas of expertise. I appreciate those plugins are sometimes more than Rhino, but that’s partly because I doubt Rhino’s cost has even followed inflation as it has matured!

12 Likes

Very Fair Comment !
Regards,
Mike.

Block Editor really needs tons of improvements! It’s really hard to use.

1. Show us the base point of a block when it’s selected, and allow us to drag its base point to change its position.
  2. When editing it, current editor works in world XYZ, but sometimes we need to work within the block’s inner XYZ system. Please add this stand-alone block editor.
  3. Nested block is hard to work with. If there are a lot of nested blocks inside and I want to edit one, it should highlight which one I selected in the list view, instead of just showing me a list, and I have to guess which one I chose.
7 Likes

I made a topic in the Bongo area, but I probably should have just posted my question/ request here…
Is there any chance we’ll get some type of motion studies in Rhino 8? Or include bongo in v8 much like how grasshopper was included in 6?
I’d love to be able to hook up parts and make them move, and to export animations as alembic files for use in other software.
My current work around is just to export and rig in mesh based software which is why stand alone Bongo currently seems quite expensive to me for what it does, compared to whats available (for free in some cases)

4 Likes

This thread might be an interesting read for you

3 Likes

How about a camera view showing the reflected ceiling plan ?

Maybe in Rhino 12 ???

3 Likes

+1 for reflected ceiling plan.

3 Likes