Rhino 8.5 RC offline help

I have the latest available offline help file installed. The command-sensitive help is in the default location as a tab in the RH container and it works. My concern is that it is slow to respond to any new command selection: around 10 seconds, give or take. Some commands around 6-8 seconds, others around 15 or so. BTW the computer is a Dell Precision 5820 workstation with a Xeon CPU, 64GB DDR4, 1 TB m.2 PCIe SSD.

Is this the expected performance? My expectation would be under 1 second; 2 seconds in occasional worst case.

How does this compare with the normal response time for online help? I would expect much more variation for it due to internet vagaries but still would hope for the <1 second range as normal.

@AlW

Offline help should be faster than online help. This is how it works on my computer.

Can you provide your system information? (Type the SystemInfo command in Rhino.)

And record a short video to show me the delay?

When I click Main Menu->Help->Help->F1 Edge opens immediately then “Welcome to Rhino…” shows up about 20 seconds later. If I then click “Command Reference” in the LH contents menu the contents shows up about 20 seconds later.

BTW the help file is at:
C:\programdata\mcneel\rhinocerous\8.0\localization\en-us\help\index.htm#commands\plane.htm

Here are two videos showing what happens with the RH sidebar dynamic help:

Here’s the Systeminfo:

Rhino8SystemInfo_03-09-2024.txt (2.0 KB)

I tested the same version of Rhino and Edge as the default web browser. I cannot produce the problem.

Please press F12 in Edge and click “Open DevTools”. Do you see errors in the “Console” tab?

If you see errors, can you show me the errors? Thanks.

Here are the Console tab results:

This one is after opening Help from the main menu (F1 equivalent) while the LAN connection was inadvertently disconnected entirely.

This one is after opening it with a good LAN connection but no internet access:

When I initially installed Windows 10 on this machine I made extensive changes to the Edge options, most of which I have long forgotten, to make it work sensibly in an off-internet environment. Could I have done something that would cause these? Edge works fine for all the other things that use it. Or maybe you need to enhance Rhino’s error checking and handling? From my limited knowledge I think it’s not surprising that the time delay might result from a search timeout looking for something on the net that it should have been informed at installation doesn’t exist. It is, after all, an offline help file.

I really appreciate the effort you are putting in to help me resolve this.

After initially opening the help file I clicked some other topics in the contents and got additional error messages:

in case they are of further help.

@AlW
Thanks for the information. I can reproduce the problem by blocking www.googletagmanager.com on my router. I don’t know what configurations on your computer/network cause the problem. The workaround to solve this problem is blocking www.googletagmanager.com before the Windows system tries to resolve the domain name. Please follow these steps:

1. In Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  2. Open the hosts file in a text editor.
  3. Add this line to the end of the file.
    0.0.0.0 www.googletagmanager.com
  4. Save the file.

Now the command topics in the Rhino Help panel or in the Edge browser should load fast like lightening. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks, Kelvin. A little knowledge goes a long way!

Is the googletags request something that originates in the online help and is carried over into the offline help, or is it something that originates from my Edge setup?

In other words, should I be on the lookout for any collateral effects with other Edge uses?

1 Like

Yes. it was. Now I changed the process of making the offline help. It no longer requests the googletagsmanager script. If you update the English offline help from https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/8/rhino-8-offline-help/, you can remove the editing in the hosts file. Thanks for reporting this issue.

1 Like

And Thank you for fixing it!

2 Likes

:smile: that’s fast. haha I’m researching this offline technique today. I have a colleague that might be persuaded to get V8 and setup as standalone like I did for their V7. So I’m preparing to figure this out for them remotely :sweat_smile:

Glad to see the help docs getting made super fast :sweat_smile:

@lander
All you have to do is download the latest version of offline help from:

https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/8/rhino-8-offline-help/

If Rhino finds the offline help installed, it will load the topic files on the computer even if the computer is connected to the Internet.

1 Like