Rhino 7 Subdivision Surface Project

are you telling me I will be able to do Polygon modeling for game assets in the same program I do Industrial Design modeling for real world assets?!!!

2 Likes

Happy New Year to McNeel and Associated with SubD and Grasshopper and Common and ā€¦

1 Like

Any news on that? Can we expect to be able to fully model with SubD geometry in Rhino at some point even on the mac version?

1 Like

At some point, certainlyā€¦

In the future I may add ^.^

I am doing some SubD modeling in Maya currently, becuase I find that method more ā€œorganicā€ and ā€œnaturalā€ in the early design stage. It is like working with clay, only that it is digital. Getting some of that ability to Rhino is for me a super good news and I hope that it will work well and have a lot of options (MeshSmooth variable and so on).

SubD test video:

4 Likes

Was this a test to evaluate any new development or features?

The last time I asked (my mistake!) no one was actively working on the sub-D project. So very, very sad.

it is actively being worked on. Dale opened this thread so the community could follow it as it develops.

Sweet! Iā€™m hoping to see these features in the next version of Rhino ā€¦ or sooner!

Do people of the rhino-community use sub-d in their (everyday) workflows?

I never used this method and I wonder how you guys use it!

Hi,

Hereā€™s an example where I used subD to form the foam body of a chair.
subD was a great workflow because I could tweak the shapes exactly how we wanted, with just a few controls.
Next I used a grasshopper definition to construct the volume and for the final model I did some manual editing like adding the transitions towards the legs, as well as some technical detailing.

7860 Tide Chair

-Willem

16 Likes

Thatā€™s a great example of hybdrid modelling! SubD for smooth shapes and nurbs for controlled edges etc. Oh, and a nice pair of chairs they are too!

hybrid modelling is the most effective modeling. I hope McNeel can come up with some tools to embrace that in this monthā€™s update.

And yeah those chairs are awesome @Willem. Iā€™d love to get them for our new office but Iā€™m afraid to check their price :rofl:

Thanks,

To clarify: I did not design them. I made the production files for the foam mold and metal frame in cooperation with the designers and manufacturer.

Pricing starts at ā‚¬1995 :wink:

3 Likes

OMG! I can buy another used motorcycle with that. ā€¦And for furniture I think Iā€™ll have to stick to IKEA for a few more years, but they are really gorgeous.

2 Likes

@Willem
Thank you for your example! The design looks pretty cool!

I just found these examples of the usage of Subd: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B09P4xZ8YSGfV1k2S3dxZFoxMzg

What would be a good workflow of creating the bear or the dragon?
Is it like ā€œblocking outā€ mesh cubes --> mirror --> boolean union --> meshtonurbs --> manual fine tuning?

I have never used meshes, besides importing from sketchup-warehouse, in my modeling workflow, so it is pretty all new for me!

This was a one time project. Iā€™m not that familiar with best practices in handling meshes for subD either. So Iā€™m probably not much help setting you up Iā€™m afraid.

-Willem

Is there a list of currently available sub-d commands?

2 Likes