Rhino 7 Poor Performance Moving Model Leading To Graphics Crash

Hi everyone!

I’m new to rhino, I recently picked up the evaluation version to try out for school.

Recently, I’ve been having extremely poor performance on both Rhino and Photoshop, with extreme lag spikes when moving the model eventually leading to a violent crash that causes my monitors to turn black before the program (and presumably my graphics drivers) crash.

I checked the reliability report on my PC and it says it’s a BEX64 issue for both programs. Usually I can restart my PC and it’ll work for awhile before eventually the same problems arise and I lose progress. I’ve learned very quickly to of course SAVE OFTEN

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’m not totally technologically illiterate but I’m no genius with software either. I’ll post my SystemInfo below to give some more information.

Summary

Rhino 7 SR2 2021-1-21 (Rhino 7, 7.2.21021.07001, Git hash:master @ 96ff97351fbdf5d2acdeaf781aea1577f2ff60f7)
License type: Evaluation, build 2021-01-21
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2021-04-23

Windows 10.0.18363 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 1-22-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.40
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 1-22-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6140
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.2.21021.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thanks for any and all help! I’m excited to get into the program as it’s really fun modeling and makes my workflow for school ten times faster. :grinning:

Hello - please disable VRay in Options > PLug-ins page, then close Rhino, eropen Rhino and see if the problem remains. If so is it with specific files or any file, even a new one with just a box or something?

-Pascal

Thanks for the quick reply!

I disabled Vray and messed around with the camera in a few different models I’ve made.

On the upside, it took longer to crash this time, but ultimately still did. Performance was still extremely choppy and eventually I arrived back at two black screens.

I opened up the performance tab on my Task manager to see if maybe there’s some kind of bottleneck there but my performance never exceeds 1-10% of my CPU or GPU.

If its worth anything, Photoshop eventually disables hardware acceleration which at least lets me work in the program for a few minutes before it also crashes.

Hello- the fact that Photoshop also crashes does not give me much hope of fixing this from Rhino… Does Rhino crash with a simple file, with no textures?

-Pascal

Yes! All of the models I have been working with have been with no textures primarilly in shaded mode because we’re early in the semester. I’m wondering if this is a hardware issue with my graphics drivers possibly? I switched over to the Studio graphics drivers for my GPU and that certainly helped performance and limited the frequency of the crashes but they seem inevitable at this point :sweat_smile:

Hi @Cord,

If you are using multiple monitors, do you still crash if you unplug the secondary one?

– Dale

Unplugged my secondary and reopened Rhino! I messed around with a model, spinning it around and panning the camera, extremely poor performance still, but no crash – until I grabbed a solid and moved it with the gumball, which crashed the program immediately

Hello - this all feels hardware-ish to me (@dale , what do you think?)Does Rhino crash with a crash report UI that you can send in to us? If so, please send that.

-Pascal

Hey guys! After digging around, I figured it would be best to try doing a full Display Driver Uninstall to see if that would work. Turns out it did! I’m not sure if it was conflicting drivers from awhile ago or what, but it did the trick. Thanks for the help!