Rhino 7 Not Responding

Pascal,
Forgive me how would I provide a link to that thanks.

Wayne.

Hi Wayne - I just mean the URL of this page -

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-7-not-responding/118974/20

-Pascal

Okay done sent thanks you Pascal.

Wayne.

@wlbdrafting - I do not see anything from you sop far on tech@mcneel.com.

-Pascal

Pascal,

The issue will be the size of the file and it can’t send that large maybe if I give you a Dropbox link to them.

Wayne Buchholz.

Pascal,

One of the files was too large to send via email so here they are in this link. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2aegvqykw8zps72/AACpHkHSMailPXrfIvNZJiB7a?dl=0

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-7-not-responding/118974/20

Wayne Buchholz.

Hi Wayne -
I unzipped that file and opened “complete model.3dm”.
There are 21 other files in that zipped file and I assume that these are linked blocks.
Apart from these 21 files that are present, I get warnings about 40 other files that are missing.
One of the files that is present - “AWN 1200X1500 PUNCHED SHEET.3dm” is 46 MB but is a typical example of something that will bring your hardware to a halt. I opened just that file and got it to shade eventually but if you have any more that are like that, it’s no surprise that this model won’t be responding. You might want to try to extract rendermeshes for parts that you are not working on but just need displayed in your complete model and probably also want to tweak the display mesh settings to make sure those are as lightweight as possible.
-wim

Thanks Wim,
I was using ghosted mode mainly as I’m only providing detail drawings for those items in not sure what extract render meshes is I’ll look that up when I get back to my office.
The other files that it referred to are all only small items.
This is my first real attempt to do this work in Rhino I usually do this in Autocad in less than half the time it took me here.
The issue with the model only arose after I went back into the file and added the hand rails to all the balustrades.

Cheers.
Wayne

Hi Wayne -

These are also typically items that will add large amounts of triangles to the scene - making the model slower to deal with.

To shade an object (in any “shaded” mode, ghosted included), Rhino needs to create a display mesh for that object. The Render mesh quality setting in Document Properties > Mesh control how dense that mesh will be for any new object. You can change this setting in an existing model for all new objects but you can also override the settings for any individual object in the object’s Properties panel.

When you only need to display parts in a large assembly where you are working on specific objects only, the “display-only” objects don’t necessarily need to include both the NURBS object and its mesh representation. Extracting the display mesh and deleting the NURBS object will, in some scenes, make it possible to handle larger or more complex models. Additionally, when several individual meshes share the same material, you can join them together into one (often disjoint) single mesh. If you can drastically reduce the amount of meshes, the model will be easier to deal with.
-wim

Wim,

I am still having all sorts of issues with this program I can’t get my head around simple things like aligning one object to another or to a line the align tool won’t do what I need it too.

Next I want to sweep a Rhs tube along a curve in Autocad this would be done in 3 clicks in Rhino I have spent 3 hrs trying to find a way you tube and help menu searching and still nothing the attached file is the example I have been trying to complete.

Starting to think Rhino was a waste of money as it seems to be great if you don’t care about being accurate for fabrication detailing.

I should have spent the extra and got Ironcad it can do these operations simply and then can provide a detail drawing with measurements in an few clicks.

Wayne Buchholz.

EXTRUDE RHS ALONG CURVE FAIL.3dm (625 KB)

A post was split to a new topic: ViewCapturetofile freezing Rhino

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rhino and Grasshopper stop responding