Rhino 7 Feature: Transparency

Hi Norbert -

I don’t know anymore…
Reading RH-56918 and RH-57144 you’d think that it was working already. And it does on the Mac.
I’ve no clue if this worked at some point on Windows or not but I’ve put it on the list of things to check… RH-57277
-wim

EDIT: This seems to have worked at some point - I’ll pinpoint where it got broken…

2 Likes

I have not tried this, so I just judged from the opening post. Will try in a couple of hours, when I have access to my work station…

I can confirm that it doesn’t work “per object”, but just on a layer level.
As mentioned the slider is inversed.

Another thing I noticed is that if “color backfaces” is activated, the transparency of objects is somewhat disturbed by showing the inner backfaces without transparency.
Cheers, Norbert

Hi Norbert - that is to be expected. This setting only changes the transparency of the base layer (or, when it works again, object) color. If you set the backfaces to have a different “material” than the “front face setting”, it won’t be transparent.
-wim

We will soon support “per object” transparency. There was an issue with the color dialog on windows when setting per object colors that we need to fix first.

1 Like

It would be really helpfull to automatically apply the same transpareny to the backface material (per layer, or - in the future - per object) in my opinion.
If not (as it is) layer transparency and backface coloring are working against each other.
Norbert

2 Likes

Hi Norbert - I agree, and we have the request for a more general layer or object “visiblility” setting on the list (BO-2792) but that is really a different feature than the one that is discussed in this thread.
-wim

1 Like

It would be also useful to have transparency option tick box in MatchProperties.

Hi Piotr - transparency (as discussed here) is a property of “Display color” or “Print color” and is matched as part of that property.
-wim

3 posts were split to a new topic: Object Display Mode in Match Properties

The other option is to provide another option to the display mode to get alpha from display color instead of a fixed value.

1 Like

Oh yes baby!

This is going to be really helpful!

That’s wonderful @stevebaer,

Thanks a lot.

Great addition, very useful!
I hope all little bugs can be solved in the near future because I would really like to start using it. :slight_smile:

Transparency/Picture in the background.

Changing colour resets transparency (little annoying).

@stevebaer ,
Did you consider enabling some of the display mode colors to work with transparency?
Specifically the curves, edges etc. It may create some new interesting possibilities.
–jarek

I added this to the wishlist at
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-65191

1 Like

If this also worked with pointcloud layers it would be awesome !!!
Regards,
Mike.

What are pointcloud layers?

Layers with pointclouds in them :slight_smile:
Sorry, I meant it would be great to be able to apply transparency t pointclouds using layers.