Rhino 7 Feature: Display Performance Discussion

Some models will display significantly faster in Rhino 7 WIP on both Windows and Mac:

• Files with nested blocks (often from SolidWorks, STEP, and SketchUP import)
  • Layouts with many detail views
  • Files with lots of text objects

Please:

• Download Rhino 7 WIP for windows8logo Windows or finderLogo Mac
  • Test your slowest models on both Rhino WIP and earlier Rhino.
  • Let us know how they compare.
  • Ask questions and give feedback by replying to this post.

This is work in progress. We need your feedback.

Details:

Blocks: Polysurface, mesh, and extrusion objects inside nested blocks are cached for rapid display. Nested blocks often come from STEP, SolidWorks, and SketchUP files. Our test models have shown up to 10x performance improvement in wireframe and shaded modes.

Layouts: Details in layout views are cached as OpenGL textures. These textures are reused when panning layouts and modeling in the layout view.

Text: Text displays faster while it is being edited.

27 Likes

I am very happy to hear that display performance for projects containing many blocks is taken care of ! This is very important IMHO.

best

Andreas

2 Likes

Thank you.

Donā€™t thank me too much yet. It would be good to have some real testing done to see if this improves some of your models.

1 Like

Works pretty well in wireframe or shaded mode on a large imported file from revit. I work in ghosted mode 90% of the timeā€¦Any improvements upcoming for the display modeā€¦?

Brian

One of the speedups I use when working with large architecture files is to open the file, set a custom render mesh, extract the rendermeshes, delete the data, join meshes based on layer structure or render material and save it as an external file.
Then reference that into Rhino.
And add a display mode that only draws mesh edges only.
That gives you fewer objects and fewer lines for the display mode to handle.

2 Likes

Transparency is a heavier operation in general as it requires each object to be drawn twice in orde to achieve the desired effect. I doubt we will see any large improvements in this area for V7.

Not in the list of improved models, but I noticed SubD objects in combination with a Clipping Plane slow down the performance more than polysurfaces.

I havenā€™t noticed that. A sample would be helpful so we can try and repeat what you are seeing.

When the section plane is active, the objects take longer to select.
Not 100% sure if if was specifc to SubD since I noticed to with blocks.
I also noticed in WIP7 you need to ā€˜double clickā€™ to activate the checkbox for the clipped view

SubD Clipping Plane

1 Like

From Cycles, we also need UI responsiveness. If this is being been addressed anywhere, please let me know, so I can stop nagging you : )

BTW, I have a file with only 4 rectangle lights, and perhaps no textures at allā€“that with a single wrong mouse click can repeatably lock up Rhino V6. Iā€™ll send it to McNeel if it will help. It has a fair amount of objects in it.

Hi Mario - I see that here as well and filed this issue as RH-56789.
Thanks,
-wim

Did a small test on a large file we are working on with lots of blocks and linked files.
In V6 I get 12 fps and in V7 I get 26 fps!

Nice!

8 Likes

how did you measure your fps?

Cheers,

Rudi

After installation of Rhino 7 WIP and comparing a technical drawing with many detail views I found practically no faster display. In both cases the time for display was about 7 seconds.
The by far greatest influence to the display time was the consequent usage of any possibility to use blocks as well as the consequent elimination of auxiliary components like points, lines etc. By this the data were reduced from 1,3 GB for the drawing to 227MB, the display was reduced from47 seconds to 7 seconds.

He is the mighty Holo, as in Holomark : )

Heā€™s no stranger to these parts, but in other towns, he reckoned their FPS, and rode off into the sunset.

2 Likes

Hi Rudi,
You can try ā€œTestmaxspeedā€ command.

1 Like

TestMaxSpeed is a hidden handy tool :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks a lot! seems like ill only be able to use that in the Windows version for nowā€¦

Work with 372 Mbyte Rhino 6 files and notice that the response of Rhino 7 is significantly faster