Rhino 7 Feature: Display Performance Discussion

Thank you Steve,
better performing edge softening is great news, especially when it comes to interior design.
I’m curious about your findings on the performance difference between rh6 and 7, please let me know if there’s any more tests we can do for you, 6 licenses on 6 desktop + 3 laptops here, plenty of testing scenarios are available…

Dear Steve,
happy to report that with (RC 7.2.20343.11011, 08/12/2020) all of the above performance issues have disappeared and Rhino 7 is now faster than 6 by average of 20% on some complex models, apparently with higher visual quality. That’s a huge improvement, thank you guys!
Curiously, task manager GPU usage in RH7 still is somewhat lower than in RH6.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. That is great to hear.

1 Like

Thanks for the amazing and fast job!

@stevebaer I just checked the ghosted view with above mentioned step file, after @giorgiocassetta comment about resolved performance issue, the problem/slow down is still there but if I understand you correctly this will be something addressed in an upcoming optimization release.

Best regards, Christoph

Per-face colors have not been optimized for performance yet. That is still on my list of items to try and improve.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, for the time being, I just save step files after import as Rhino 6, reopen that R6 file and start from there :slightly_smiling_face:
It’s great R7 is out, and I wish the whole Dev Team a well-deserved Holiday and a good journey into the new year.

I have 3 A5000 cards in my Win 10 system. I have a Rhino scene which, when exported as .obj, I can navigate in Maya with zero lag -wireframe or shaded, The original Rhino scene navigation is 2.05FPS. It’s abysmal. I can literally tumble around the scene fully pathtraced in Octane Render faster than Rhino can tumble the scene in Shaded view.

Could you share your model? I can’t determine where the problem lies without a 3dm file

Here is a small behemoth of a file with a nested block containing a cylinder and a sphere, multiplied a “few” times. One tree consists of 1093 twig1 items, 5x5 trees making a total of 27 325 twig1 blocks. So rather heavy in other words. But are there any ways to make Rhino handle stuff like this faster?

This is the simplest example I can make that represents how heavy architectural files act in Rhino.
Therefore I always mesh the files we get, join the meshes and export those to a new file (through a scipt of course), so what Rhino has to deal with is as few meshes as possible, because that is fast.

I guess I wish for Rhino to handle blocks that way, as joined meshes, so the GPU thinks it only deals with few heavy items instead of thousands of light ones.

(Oh, and OT try to change the unit to meters and choose no to scale, IMO that should take a second, but it is slow, maybe it is checking every sub block instead of only the 6 building blocks?)

forest.3dm (367.4 KB)

1 Like

I was hoping to see the model that Mike was commenting on. I understand this block issue and agree it needs to be worked on. I was curious to see if there was something else going on with the file that is slow for Mike.

The model is for Disney and can’t be shared unfortunately. It’s a whole lotta this.

1 Like

Run SelAll and tell me what it reports for number of objects and their types.

Are the trees blocks with each leaf an individual mesh?

8 block instances
8017 surfaces
20607 polysurfaces
12661 extrusions
98 meshes

Yes each leaf is an individual mesh

If you hide the 8 blocks, does the framerate improve?

No measurable change, and to be honest, hiding the trees makes no discernable impact, either.

If I had the model, I would hide different geometry type to try and figure out where the biggest impact lies and then dig into a what it is that is causing the lag.

With 20,000 polysurfaces, hiding them makes a huge difference, of course. Ditto hiding 12,000 extrusions. Which one has the greater impact when hidden? Hard to say. Certainly hiding the extrusions or meshes makes little difference. It’s the polysurfaces and surfaces that lag the display.

Does the display performance change dramatically if you turn off all edge and isocuve drawing in the current display mode? I’m trying to figure out if it is the shaded meshes or the wires that are bogging things down

With everything here turned off, not much change.