Rhino 7 Feature: Display Performance Discussion

And you haven’t setup an NVidia Profile for Rhino? If you’ve turned off VerticalSync permanently and are still seeing 60fps, then something else is turning it back on. When I do the same thing here with V7 WIP, everything works as expected… and if I set NVidia to “Use the 3D application settings”, then Rhino’s “-TestMaxSpeed VerticalSync=Disabled” also works as expected.

If you’re seeing 60fps with an empty scene in a wireframe view, then I’m pretty sure you’re still experiencing the vertical retrace delay. I’m also not understanding how it’s possible that your V6 Rendered mode is faster than its Shaded mode…that makes zero sense…unless you’re not working with the default settings for either of those modes.

-Jeff

Typed in “-TestMaxSpeed VerticalSync=Disabled” Ran 3 times Rhino WIP. Got 130 to 133fps.

Options ( FrameCount=100 DisplayList=NoRebuild DynamicDraw=Disabled VerticalSync=Disabled )
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 0.77 seconds. (130.72 FPS)

The more computers I test this with, the more disappointed I am, to be honest. I updated to 10.15.4 on my MacBookPro13,3 (AMD Radeon Pro 460 OpenGL Engine) and I don’t see an appreciable difference using TessellationShaders (testing with CurvesDemo.3dm).

And do you have any ideas why Mac rhino is performing so badly compare to the windows one?

Yes, it is clearly an AMD driver performance difference for tessellation shaders. Windows uses one set of drivers; macOS another.

1 Like

Thanks, let’s hope you guys can solve it.

1 Like

I hope the OpenGL material mapping issues will be fixed in V7.

Hello Steve,

I used my 1.6 GB competition file, with a lot of Surface, Meshes, Linked Blocks , and Curves.

Did TestMaxSpeed.

Rhino 6
1- Shaded Mode = 66.19 (1.51 FPS) faster
2- Rendered Mode = 125.88 (0.79 FPS) slower

Rhino WIP
1- Shaded Mode = 70.88 (1.41 FPS) Slower
2- Rendered Mode = 118.61 (0.84 FPS) Faster.

I immediately noticed a better viewport shadows in the rendered mode which is a great thing. I like how the shadows looks much softer

Specs:

Core i7 4970K + GTX 1080 + 32GB of RAM

Brenda

Anything specific?

Andy

I’ve posted this bug, months ago, and it’s meaningful because we need the OpenGL mode to be accurate because Raytraced mode is too slow for aligning materials/textures/mappings. The top is not going to map anyway, but that’s okay, the side is the issue. To examine this, it’s like that material is applied, but Rhino thinks the mapping is not necessary because it’s out of view. I’ve seen this behavior before with transparencies, which I think were fixed.

Rendered (OpenGL) View:

Cycles View:

[I wish we could map textures, repeating along/per NURB H/V’s because it’s dozens of times faster than anything in Rhino. I checked out what I think you were working, on, and it;s not the same.]

I’m finding it difficult to understand what you are describing, but are you saying that OCS mapping in V7 doesn’t solve this?

And if I am going to solve a problem with mapping, I need an model with a repeatable case.

2 Likes

For one, it’s in my diner map file, do I need to send it again?
~
I could not find the OSC feature in the version of v7 I tried it on.

I am getting ready to make a video showing quite old texture mapping features that would make adding materials to objects much faster. I have to get screen capture set up on this computer.

[I am sorry, but things have been pretty sketchy here in the Valley, lately.]

Brenda

I could never repeat the problem with th bricks in that file. And also, didn’t we agree that adding OCS mapping would solve that for you? That’s actually been done in V7.

Andy

RH-56789 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

I have more time to play around with Rhino 7 now and I’m experiencing extreme lagginess when panning around Layout space. I trialed this back in Feb with a 1GB Rhino file and posted in this thread regarding the same issue. Now I’ve started from scratch, built myself a template file and after adding some geometry and going to draft the construction drawings I am again experiencing this glitchy panning in Layout space, and this time it’s only a 50mb file.

Any developments?

In theory panning should be much faster, but obviously something is not working on your system. Can you share a model with me that you are seeing poor panning performance in layouts?

Also, are you running Windows or Mac?

LaggyLayout_SampleFile_V02_201102.3dm (4.0 MB)

Running Windows. If I pan extremely slowly it will almost be smooth, otherwise, if I pan at a regular speed the cursor moves alone and then the page suddenly appears in its new position typically once I have let go of pan.

That file is snappy as can be for me. Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and paste the results here.

[edit] now I’m seeing some slowdown after playing around with some panels. Still investigating

We think we see what is going on. @devingrayart for now you can try the following.

• Start Rhino7 and make sure the layout panel is not showing. If the panel is showing, close it and restart Rhino
  • Hopefully your model will display much faster

The layout panel was being a tad too aggressive on watching for any change in a layout in order to update its contents. We are working on a fix for this right now.