Rhino 7.5 Crashes when Ctrl +P

Hello, I’m trying to print from layout. It was working earlier today and stopped suddenly. Does not work regardless of the printer i select (e.g. i’ve tried adobe pdf, rhino pdf, and a physical printer), and regardless of the file. I have tried opening a totally blank file, creating a layout, and tried to print and it still crashes the program.

Things I have tried:
restarting my computer, several times
reinstalling the program, several times
restarting the print spooler in the services app on my windows 10 operating system.

Any suggestions?

Update: I downloaded rhino 6.32 and layout works in that version. Does anyone know why it’s doing this with 7.5??

Hello - when it crashes, do you see a McNeel crash report interface? If so please send one in. Meantime, please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

-Pascal

Ok, i sent the report.

Here is the system info :

Rhino 7 SR5 2021-4-10 (Rhino 7, 7.5.21100.03001, Git hash:master @ 2cd158094b595f6400479d7cbe511454b6149527)
License type: Educational, build 2021-04-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [89% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 12-8-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 457.63
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-8-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5763
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

System Info looks ok to me - since this is a printer thing and that is tied to the GPU, I suggest going to the NVidia website and getting the latest driver for your card, and installing that - just in case.

-Pascal

I just downloaded the most recent driver, and am still having the same issue with rhino 7.5. Any other suggestions?

Hello - can you try running ViewCaptureToFile - does that work?

-Pascal

Yes, it works.

And, printing from model space, does that work? When it crashes, how far do you get, do you see the Print dialog? I assume yes since you tried different printers… are you printing raster or vector?

Can you take a screen shot of the dialog with as many settings open as you can conveniently grab?

-Pascal

printing from model space also does not work. It doesn’t even get to the print dialog page. as soon as i say print, it gives me the error reporting box. see attached. On rhino 6, which I just downloaded, I am able to print from layout and model space just fine.

@stevebaer - do you have an idea about this?

-Pascal

As a side note, when I say I tried different printers, I mean I tried selecting different printers when I was creating the layout, in the layout properties.

Ah, thanks for that detail. Can you please check Options > Plug-ins page and see if yhe ‘Renderer Developement Kit’ plug-ins are enabled and loaded (two of them)?

-Pascal

It looks like the Renderer Development Kit UI was not enabled. I tried checking the box, then tried ctrl+p again. It still crashes when I prompt it to print.

Wait!! I tried again and it seems to work now!! I guess that was it. Thank you very much!

2 Likes