Rhino 6 text still ugly, even in PDF output

Ugly%20text%20in%20PDF%20export

1 Like

Does running the command TestGlyphy help any?

Yes, this is a GPU driver problem with how some drivers handle our text shaders. TestGlyphy is the best option for now. Iā€™m working on a new technique for drawing text, but it isnā€™t done yet.

4 Likes

I have a recent Nvidia with vanilla driver.
How about making Rhino work with the most common setups, and make workarounds with funny names for the more exotic ones ?

Wouldnā€™t that be kind of smart ?

Sorry, Iā€™m doing my best.

1 Like

@osuire
Wow, you must write perfect bug free software for a living with such an arrogant comment.

You canā€™t be arrogant with a mainstream graphics card, but you can be
ironic with the CAD that fails to support it.
Choice of words my friend, choice of wordsā€¦

You donā€™t think the rhino devs are smart? Theyā€™re your own arrogant words.

Itā€™s all good Ncik, Iā€™ve grown accustomed to moral improvment beatingsšŸ˜€ I can understand Olivierā€™s frustration in that a seemingly simple thing like text should ā€œjust workā€ on common GPUs. I did run tests on a bunch of nVidia cards and the technique we use works great on them. There are a few cases like Olivierā€™s where the code fails and unfortunately this is happening at the level where the OpenGL driver is interpreting our shaders.

Iā€™m currently in the process of writing an entirely different technique for drawing text that I think will work all of the time and will open the door for us to possibly add other effects to the text in the future that we canā€™t do now. The initial prototypes are working well and Iā€™m hoping to at least make this an option for text drawing by SR3. It should eventually become the default technique, but itā€™s hard to determine when that will be.

1 Like

I like that Steve. Moral improvement beatingsšŸ˜‚. I will try to remember that one.

1 Like

Not a problem Steve, the reaction just seemed a bit over the top and got me riled up. Upon further investigation it appears to be a modus operandi for this user.

Morale improvement beating indeed! Love it.

Hi Steve,

TestGlyphy doesnā€™t cut itā€¦ well in fact it does : it eats away the right side of texts.
Nice to hear that you found a different technique that will perhaps work.
When you finally get the texts right, you might try to also find an entirely different technique for :

• Blocks
  • Filetting
  • Shelling
  • Booleans
  • Move face
  • Meshes
  • Mesh split
  • Mesh booleans
  • Real-time 2D from 3D
  • ā€¦ NURBS modeling in general

Man, you really need to fix that list to get the priorities straight!
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Never mind the priorities, all that stuff should have been massively improved ages ago.
Instead, in the ā€œNew in V6ā€ toolbar, there are earth-shattering novelties as :

• An icon to launch Grasshopper !
  • Show curve ends !
  • Parabola from 3 points !
  • Select planar surfaces !

Amazing how much work can be done in just 7 yearsā€¦

1 Like

Hopefully we will start our first release candidate of SR3 next Tuesday. All text in SR3 defaults to drawing using a new technique that I just finally got into the Rhino source.

I donā€™t know what else to say regarding your other posts here. If you are unhappy with V6 you can return it.

1 Like

Grasshopper 1.0 is the reason I made the upgrade, and why I hang to Rhino.

Text display in 6.3 uses a completely different technique. Please give it a try

3 posts were split to a new topic: 6.3 Text causing Rhino to Hang