Rhino 6 suddenly hanging on simple mouse clicks and saves

Hi - I’ve been using Rhino 6 with a good Nvidia graphics card for a long time and suddenly the program is freezing constantly on simple mouse clicks, with delays of up to 30 seconds before the program resumes. The file is mostly 2D, very small, although I have a lot of empty layers set up. I have two image pictures in the file, but even with their layers off I get this issue. Never had this before. The screen says “not responding” then finally resolves. Additionally, I am working locally and saving the file (with so little geometry) should (and has been) instant but now it hangs for 30 seconds. Any thoughts on what could have changed and is causing this? Thanks, Matthew

Here is the system info on my set up:

Rhino 6 SR21 2019-12-17 (Rhino 6, 6.21.19351.09141, Git hash:master @ 4d373f64ffb55e3a8d607d9618590728d86fb1e9)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-12-17
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: NB-18-08

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-12-2019 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-17-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.39

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-17-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3039
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Lumion LiveSync for Rhino (839d6175-32d1-4ffe-a0a4-b7fb43cf0ff5)\2019.6.17.913\Lumion\Rhino 6.0\LumionPlugin.rhp “Lumion LiveSync for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Enscape\Bin64\Enscape.Rhino6.Plugin.dll “Enscape.Rhino.Plugin” 0.0.19316.1331
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Mindesk (f9d7eb16-ffb2-4445-ba1d-6f9b53fe0cb5)\2019.4.5.806\Mindesk.rhp “Mindesk”

Hello - please open Options > Plug-ins page and disable Mindesk, Enscape, Lumion, then close and re-open Rhino. Is there any change?

-Pascal

Thanks, Pascal. Unfortunately no change. Another example of the behavior is I create a simple 3D extruded box then hit save. It still takes 10 seconds to save (where previously it would be instant) and then after the save is finished, the workspace is frozen (no response to mouse or typing) for a few more seconds before finally “releasing” and allowing new work.

Matthew

Hi Matthew -

How suddenly? did you make any changes to the system or install a plug-in or anything that you can recall that corresponds to this, timing wise? Does it happen in any file, even a new one started with ‘no template’?

-Pascal

This started happening last week. I can’t think of anything that I’ve done differently than in the last many years. I did just try creating a very simple completely new model and with just a few 3D boxes there seems to be no issue. So I guess there may be something corrupt with the file? The only possibly unusual thing is the use of inserted jpgs as pictures, and the fairly large layer list (relates to a grasshopper script).

By the way, an additional (presumably related) issue is when I simply select some geometry in the file and hit control C to copy I get the 5-10 second hang up.

I’m thinking the issue is the embedded bitmap. I imported it as a picture and the originating file is on a remote server, not local. I’m thinking that the issue may be both the bitmap file size and its remoteness. Question: when importing a bitmap as a picture, does it remain as a link to the originating file or get embedded in the local rhino file? Also, is there any difference in this regard if I import a ‘picture’ as opposed to drop a bitmap from file manager onto a rhino surface? Thanks

In rhino 5, you used to be a command called pictureframe and one of the options was to embed the bitmap. I have spent the last 20 minutes looking and can see no way of doing that with the new picture command. In fact, I can find no way to embed bitmaps into a rhino file anymore. @brian, is this a correct assessment? Because that would be really frustrating when it comes to file sharing if you can no longer embed the bitmaps.

As for this part, I believe that picture basically just automates those same steps. In both cases, the end result is a surface with a bitmap applied as a texture. So is there a difference? no.

Hello - ‘Picture’ images are treated as regular material textures in V6. They are saved and restored in the same way- that is, if you check ‘Save textures’ in the Save dialog, (default is checked) then they are saved.

-Pascal