Rhino 6 still unusable

Holomark2 should run in V6. I believe there is an explicit check for the Rhino version in holomark and it decides not to run when that value is 5. It may be a one line fix for Jorgen. Publishing and updating a wbesite may be more painful though.

ah, just one line of code, that’s what holomark is.
brushing this off so quick doesn’t make you look good.

I have no idea why you think I’m brushing this off. I wrote that this may be easy for Jorgen to fix.

not my business anyway

Discrediting master Steve is never a good move, the man has a black belt in programming! :wink:

The “truth” is this:
1- The early Rhino6 SR’s were by default ran as Vsync=ON for geforce, bottlenecking all tests at 60 fps unless the users altered the driver settings for the Rhino software profile. In other words something that would cause a shitstorm of “why are my scores so low?” frustration. This can be (apparently) be overridden by a line of code, but I have not had time to focus on this since I am rebuilding the basement.
AND
2- Holomark 2 for V5 isn’t suitable for V6 since it takes for eeeever to complete the populate-all-the-minis in shaded mode. V6 is just that much faster than v5 in some tests.

So I’ll make a Holomark 2.5 that will run comparably on both V5 and V6 that uses a smarter test score for many objects. It would probably take me half a day to get right. And I have to wait a few more days before I can locate that spare time away from projects, job and family right now. But within a month I should have it up and running. Even though I have said that since March.

1 Like

would be great if you’d find a way to output the scores into some kind of database. now everyone who runs holomark takes a screenshot and posts it in the this thread. A database, accessible for all would be great, a more reliable statement regarding what kind of system/GPU brings good results.
also, maybe make it available via the new package manager? downloading executables feels so old fashioned :grin:

1 Like

Fusion 360 is notable for its easy animation, easy inverse kinematics, and unique feature called healing. When you edit Fusion 360 model, you do not worry about fillets and polysurface seams because they heal automatically. On the other hand, Fusion 360 is more buggy than Rhino and it lacks real curve editing tools. The worst feature of Fusion 360 is waiting for AutoDesk server before you can do any work. Autodesk Fusion 360 Ultimate price is $4500 for 3 years.

Onshape is the best mechanical CAD program for collaborating with other Internet cloud users. It is popular among former Solidworks users because it has parametric modeling and sheet metal design. It is not suitable for 2D drawings. Onshape standard price is $1500 for 1 year.

for me the “normal” Fusion360 would be enough. It’s 321,30€ per year. It has sheet metal support as well now. That is what’s important for me at the moment.

@stevebaer I could not find any info on how to make a “package” from a python script, is it possible yet?

1 Like

@will is writing the package manager and would know better than me. The package manager is really just a test command in V6 and all work on this project is going into the V7 WIP

@Holo, not yet but support for Python command plug-ins is on my list.

2 Likes

Hi Steve,
Sorry for the tone in my post. It’s the frustration to see a new major version of my beloved Rhino and I can’t work with it.

Really I asked myself what exactly is my problem with the display, why it’s so “unusable” for me… you should know my eyesight is not so good and I realized that working in Rhino 6 is so tiring for my eyes that I’ll stop after a few minutes. What it makes so tiring are the different line thicknesses, and the (still) bad anti aliasing of the thin lines.

My usual viewport configuration is Top, Front, Right viewport in wireframe orthographic parallel projection and a rendered viewport in perspective. The problem is that the line thicknesses are very much different between the rendered viewport and the other ones:

The wires in the rendered viewport are much thinner and couse of that have much worse AA. I realize that this is my main problem: seeing selections in a rendered viewport.

The different line thicknesses have nothing to do with a parallel or perspective viewport, they change with the display mode. Here on my system I see the following:

Thin lines: rendered, arctic, rautraced
Medium line width: wireframe, shaded, ghosted
Thick lines: technical, artistic, pen, cartoon shaded

Btw, GPU tessellation is off, WireThicknessScale is set to 1, and TestLineSmoothing doesn’t change anything so I leave it off.

AA is still bad, especially with thinner lines but also in medium thicknesses. It’s hard to get a picture of that cause it looks ugly with view manipulation. So I took this short vid. Hopefully it shows what I mean:

Ok, so far. Let me make it clear that Rhino 5 doesn’t suffer of any of this. I can work for hours in Rhino 5 and won’t get stressed eyes. Rhino 6 doesn’t even come close so I can’t work with it.

greetins, Tobias

Ok, if I set this to 0.0001 I get no BB display. Thanks for that.

What I don’t understand is why not making this setting a meaningful thing?
Changing the Frames per sec setting changes nothing so it’s a useless setting. Same in V5 btw

Like it is now you can simply put a checkbox: View-degradation on / off

1 Like

Hi Tobias, for what it’s worth, I am not seeing that here on my 1070, nor on my 750m. I work with V6 all the time, and hardly use V5 these days, and it looks as good. (And I am the one that ranted the most about the crappy AMD AA handling back in the days, so I am picky when it comes to eye fidelity too :wink: )

Do you only work on one machine, or are you able to hook up another machine to the same monitor to see if a different hardwareconfiguration gives the same result? (I don’t think the monitor has anything to do with it, but it would be a good platform to compare on) (nor do I think it is the hardware, but it can be driver and/or driver settings and/or software settings related in some way. It can even be some old crap from old drivers from old hardware and/or old stuff from earlier windows or earlier Rhino6 WIP things, thus the earlier suggestions to toss an empty drive in the computer and install windows, drivers and Rhino 6 on it to see how stuff work out on a fresh installation)

Good luck!

Hi Jørgen,
So you don’t see the different wire thicknesses??

I have no other machine to test, but I was thinking of doing a maintenance windows / software reinstall anyway. Its about time after 2+ years… donno when I have time for that (always the same problem)

gr, Tobias

1 Like

My last complete install was when Win7 came out.
After then, only upgrades.
A fresh install is too much work for me.

if you know how to do it the right way a fresh install is simple and certainly worth it. with a system that old, you can never really tell what’s wrong and if rhino isn’t running smoothly you can’t point your fingers at the devs from mcneel cause it might be more microsofts’ side to blame.

@tobias your system info says Win7 SP1 - there is at least SP2 vor win7 available, make sure it is up to the latest. if you reinstall, you should go with win10. you can complain a lot about privacy settings and apps that you don’t want and such stuff, but it is the most stable microsoft operating system I’ve ever used (started with win 3.1). it was rock solid since the first tech previews long before release. and UI/UX has improved as well.

Yes, true. That’s why it’s on the “in-the-near-future-todo” list. And it’s not soo much work. I’ve done it many times

The Media Creation Tool from Microsoft helps you to make an up to date USB UEFI install stick, no need to search for the right win version, it downloads the lates ISO from microsoft onto the stick. You don’t really need to do much yourself, just make sure you get a decent USB stick that has good read and write performance, otherwise it might take unnecessarily long.

Yes.