Rhino 6: Polyline option helper wired

Hi @pascal,

the option helper in polyline doesn’t recognize horizontal and vertical lines anymore. Bug?

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Michael - I think it is the same as it’s been = use SmartTrack (or Ortho) for the verticals and horizontals.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

yeah, that’s what I mean, helper doesn’t find orthogonals like in Rhino 5. (BTW, this was a customer note).

Thanks

Michael

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hi Michael - I’ve had a coffee, and I am still missing something - in V5, Polyline helpers do not find verticals and horizontals (parallel to CPlane X and Y - that is what you mean, right?). I only get that feedback if SmartTrack is enabled - same in V6 as far as I can see.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

hm, coffee. :slight_smile: In Rhino 5 I get these helper lines without SmartTrack, in Rhino 6 not. Here a Rhino 5 test:

Thank you

Michael

Hi Michael,

i do get the Helpers=Yes lines with SmartTrack disabled using (6.5.18105.2211, 04/15/2018) can only test using english as i do not have the german language pack installed.

Helpers

Maybe this has been fixed already? What version do you test with?

_
c.

Hi Clement,

try to switch off Grid Snap, then you will see no helper for straight lines.

Thank you for your time

Michael

Hi Michael, it seems to work here with lines and all snaps disabled:

Helpers2

_
c.

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #9

I think the point here is that no helper lines for horizontal or vertical are shown, unless it is on an extension of an existing horizontal or vertical segment. In the video they do appear, but not in v6 AFAICS.

Using shift to toggle Ortho seems to work as a workaround I guess?

Hi Clement and Nathan,

thank you for your help. I contact the customer, if he is happy with this.

Cheers

Michael

That is like it has always been in V5. Enabling Orto works wonders and acts like an invisible helper.

That is V6.
_
c.

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #12

I meant in the video posted by @Michael_Meyer. There you can see horizontal and vertical helper lines *when the line to be drawn is horizontal or vertical, so not an arc. Your video does show vertical and horizontal helpers, but not for to-be-straight sections, only what seems to be perpendicular to at least half, quarter and three-quarter sections.

Pardon my potential wrong jargon.

@nathanletwory, that is indeed a difference between V5 and V6. Would have never noticed it because i use Shift all the time and have Ortho disabled.

_
c.

(Pascal Golay) #14

Hey all - here, I see no difference… if I use arcs and helpers I see the horizontal/vertical helper at 90 degree arcs, I never see these ortho helpers unless in Arc mode on V5 or V6. Do O need another ‘doppio’?

-Pascal

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #15

@pascal from first video see 00:15-00:17. The vertical helper for the straight segment to be added does not appear in v6.

Hi Pascal, in V5 if you set it to use arcs, it shows the helper line if you have drawn one arc and move the mouse along the arc tangent line, in V6 it does not.

_
c.

(Pascal Golay) #17

I feel better now - thanks…

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45544

-Pascal

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #18

That is ok, it took us together 16 messages to get there (:

Hi Pascal, Clement, and Nathan,

sorry for my poor explanations, I should take soon at least some english lessions. :wink:

Thank you for your help

Michael

(Pascal Golay) #20

Hi Michael - it’s fine - thanks for pointing it out, I was just being dense…

-Pascal