Rhino 6 Performance Issues

Hello again! So, in the past few days I have almost commited ultimate crime on my computer, smoked my lungs out and upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10. No progress, _testmaxspeed on the same test model as before with astonishing score of 72,75 sec (!!!). GPU activity around 4%. Same test, same model, Rhino 5 - 13,47 seconds. Better, but not optimal.

So I have checked GPU driver, it was not up to date!! Updated driver to latest game ready driver, restarted PC aaaaand, _testmaxspeed with score 69,36 sec, 72,88 sec with vertical sync turned off. I am back to being desperate…

Did you already try disabling the V-Ray plug-in and restarting Rhino?

yes (under win 7 tho, I can try again with new system installed). Currently I am trying studio NVidia driver, I ll post asap with new information.

So, I have installed new studio driver, no improvement there: 78,06 seconds…with disabled V-Ray it is bit better, but not much - 44,27 seconds. Both numbers are almost the same as before with win 7 (as described on my first post 6 days ago). I really need this to work, I have loads of work ahead and this is slowing me down to the point I want to kill myself or destroy computer and change career to goat shepperd. I am going to instal WIP version of rhino and run testmaxspeed there.

Okay, same model, Rhino 7 WIP, _testmaxspeed score 6,05 seconds… How is it possible that RH5 and RH7 works fine and RH 6 does not work properly at all? Maybe complete reinstal of RH 6? I need V-ray, does it work under 7 WIP? Going back to RH 5 is no go as it has infinite plane at ground coordinates…

Today, new update for RH 6 popped in, after install nothing changed: _testmaxspeed with score astonishing 72.42 seconds. One thing was strange tho, while updating, RH6 updater window had text saying, that my platform is not supported and it is only supported win 7 SR 1 or newer.

Firstly, I have updated system to win 10 last weekend. Secondly, I had Win 7 SR 1 before - supported platform, at least in theory… So, is it possible, I have some sort of glitched instalation and I should clean reinstal whole Rhino?

Hello - it would not hurt to uninstall and reinstall Rhino. V7 is in Beta at this point, so I am not sure where the reference to SR1 is coming from however…

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,

reference to win 7 SR1 or newer was not coming from RH7 WIP, but from RH 6 instaler (updater to be correct). I will try to uninstall and reinstall whole Rhino 6 and post results here.

Joe

Hello boys, so I have uninstalled RH6 and reinstalled it again. It had absolutely no effect. _testmaxspeed 68.55 sec. RH6 is curently broken. Is someone trying to solve this problem whom I can contact? It is freezing my work and costing me lot of time and money.

Okay, weird thing: Right after clean install, Rhino warned about update - so I tried to update and this pop-up message showed what I told in some previous post. Platform not supported… I have WIN 10 now, my platform definetly is supported…After update, nothing is changed, _testmaxspeed 69.92 sec.

Snímek obrazovky 2020-10-13 095131

Hello - I am not sure what to suggest - I’d make sure to get all available Windows updates and video card driver updates after installing w10.

-Pascal

I’ve done that, I had latest studio driver. So I have tried game ready driver aswell, it is no go. _testmaxspeed 68.98 sec. We are going in cycles and I am becoming mad in compilance with Einstein’s theory of madness. I am still doing same thing expecting different results… Pascal, no offence to you, I am sure you did everything you could, but repeating same advices when I have stated before I have tried all this is really not helpfull. I think you should bring someone more competent to this case.

Since MCneel support is not able to help me after three weeks of tries, I have a message for people with the same problem as I have: there is a workaround. It appears RH 7 is working rather fine and if you own RH 6 licence, you can join RH 7 testing. Of course many of you need V-ray, so in the properties/plug-ins is in the bottom ‘install’ button. You can install V-ray for RH 6, so far it appears it is working properly. You can bring your own settings very easily as well, you just type _optionsexport in your RH 6 and _optionsimport in RH7.

I hope this brings at least tiny fragment of hope for people like me.

Hi -

This sounds like - at some point in the past - your Windows OS asked you to run Rhino in so-called compatibility mode. If you right-click on Rhino.exe in your C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System folder and pick Properties and then go to the Compatibility tab, is the following checkbox checked?
-wim

Hello Wim,

it is not running in compatibility mode:

-Joe

Check the same setting also for the installer of the update, just to make sure it isn’t that. The installer is a different .exe than rhino.exe.

I just checked, new update popped up:

after install, _testmaxspeed 73,16 sec, GPU usage around 3%

Hi @jan.jaron,

Is TestMaxSpeed also slow when you have an empty scene in Rendered mode? If the problem only appears on your specific file, can you attach it to this thread or send it to https://www.rhino3d.com/upload?to=david.eranen@mcneel.com?

-David

Hello David,

I have one test file on which I do all speed tests so the results are relevant and comparable, I can send you the file. It is purged file from all materials, just some geometry I was working on.

Problem is mainly in rendered mode and when I need to use GPU. When I run _testmaxspeed on shaded view, result is 14,77 sec, still not good, but better. When I run _testmaxspeed on blank file just with one cube 1x1x1m without material, _testmaxspeed is pretty much the same for all view modes, little over one second.

Thanks for the file @jan.jaron. I can’t repeat the problem with the file (for me it takes 3,5 seconds with a GTX 980), but let’s not give up hope yet. I have a number of questions:

1. Have you modified your Rendered display mode defaults? Can you try to reset your Rendered mode to defaults and then try TestMaxSpeed again.

2. Are you running Rhino on a 4k monitor? How many pixels is Rhino’s viewport?

-David

Well, I do not reach this number even in RH 7 :-/ that sux.

Restoring viewport settings to default was one of the first things I have tried:

I do not have 4K monitor, RH viewport:

-Joe