Rhino 6 Performance Issues

@jeff you may want to take a look at this

The only thing that comes to mind is that somehow the Core Profile flag has somehow been flipped on…

Can everyone seeing this problem post a screenshot of V6’s OpenGL page please.

-Jeff

After my test with the NVidia 397 Version , I downloaded and did a clean install of the "Release 390 ‘Optimal Drivers for Enterprise’ (ODE) " - just to check if the latest greatest had issues.

Go to the options page and make sure that the UseCoreProfile setting is set to false. This shouldn’t be true, but it is good to make sure it didn’t somehow get turned on.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. It was indeed set to “on”.

Here is a copy of the OpenGL screen after I set this to “False” and restarted.

Raytracing Works now.

Regards
Bjørn

That’s great. Do you ever recall setting this option?

This flag was changed when I tried various settings under “Advanced” and searched for “OpenGL”.

Thanks. Does Rhino 6’s display now appear to be running better in general?

Not quite there yet. The Raytrace mode is still slow.

i made a small test by creating a cubed array of cubes. TestMaxSpeed gave roughly 10FPS in Artic mode and with a 4K Display setting (using Samsung 4k U28E570).

@nathanletwory would know the most about how raytraced should work with your configuration.

@DavidEranen are there any things that could be done to try and improve performance with arctic?

The Quadro P400 isn’t a very good card for Raytraced with only 256 compute cores ( Quadro Pxxx).

Anything from approx. GTX 740 and up will likely outperform th P400 with Raytraced.

Depending on the CPU model you may find that it is faster than the GPU. You can test by picking the CPU as your render device in Tools » Options » Cycles

Thanks for the answer.

I did an upgrade from the 600 card and wanted to get a verification that the p_serie would work with rhino 6. P2000 was my second choice and I could migrate when the need for larger raytrace viewport /modell arise…

The render mode and artic mode work OK with the modell I am working on today, I wanted to check that I have configured the system for best possible performance with the hardware available.

Thank,
Bjørn

You could check Dynamic Streaming in your Nvidia control panel

https://discourse.mcneel.com/search?context=topic&context_id=56355&q=dynamic%20streaming%20order%3Alatest&skip_context=true

Hi,

Dynamic Streaming is selected.

I have tested further and with more reasonable models for my projects. The Attached view is from Artic mode and two pcb Boards. FPS is 37 and in max view 10FPS With a 4K screen resolution.

I recorded the GPU load during the “TestMaxSpeed” in max view command and the GPU is running near 100%.

~Bjørn

More data…

This model was created to market a sensor system for excavators. “TestMaxSpeed” in max view and in render mode gives 29FPS and GPU load of 80%.

Artic mode with this model in max view gives 10FPS using “Testmaxspeed” (near 100% GPU load).

For all practical purposes this works pretty good.

~Bjørn

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Cursor lag on Bootcamp

Hello boys,

is there any development? I do aswell have performance issues and as I figured from multiple chats, there is complex problem with performance of RH6.

My PC (32GB RAM, AMD FX 8350 4GHz x 8 cores, GTX 1060 6GB) is not as high end as three years ago, but it is still capable of almost everything. That means everything except running RH6 smoothly.

Every driver is up to date. Rhino is up to date. Vray is up to date. I have disabled GPU tessellation. I have disabled vertical sync.

When I run _testmaxspeed on heavily simplified model (purged all materials, only basic geometry of 29MB model), I reach 72,68 (!!!) seconds! (With materials test reached 84,16 seconds). When I do the same (meaning same model, same angle, same everything, except I have kept materials) on RH5, result is 12,81 seconds. When I run RH 6 in safe mode, nothing changes.

I do have problems with muddy cursor aswell of course. None of my attempts of fixing that succeeded, only workaround I have found is turning off SmartTrack (which I dearly miss every second of work) and reducing snaping points to bare minimum you need, fow your work. I would welcome any advices to either of the problems.

Last question lays like this, how is possible, that functional program breaks up so much? I mean, RH 6 worked just fine when I bought it, I had created very large files (up to 800 MB) which ran smoother than my 29MB model right now with everything updated. As for now, I am very desperate. Only realistic solution is to switch back to RH 5, but for some reason, when working in RH 5 with file created in RH6, there is infinite plane at Z coordinate 0 under which you can’t see… Every model I created has components under this plane, I would have to destroy my coordinate system for that…

One more thought, is it possible for another software to cause this kind of problems? I mean, it does not really makes any sence since RH 5 works much better than RH 6, but I came across some comment, that avecto software slows down Rhino. I do not have such a program, but I have ton of other programs…

edit: our IT guy told me, that obsolete system might be the problem - I have win 7 64 bit, but every driver is updated, is it possible that drivers under win 7 are the problem?

Hello - Please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the results here. Also, I’d test without VRay loaded at all - that is, in Options>Plugins page, disable the VRay plug-ins and then close and restart Rhino.

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,

tryout without V-ray was one of the first things I did, _testmaxspeed score of 44,77 seconds. Not even close to desired speed or speed of RH 5 test of the same model. I’ve read after initial message, that McNeel does not support win 7 and I do use win 7 - maybe it is related?

You’ll find system info below.

Joe

Rhino 6 SR30 2020-9-14 (Rhino 6, 6.30.20258.18391, Git hash:master @ 8e36acc4d28bd7d5ec3477bf8d2bf7914ebf2410)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-09-14
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Ján Jaroň ()

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: CLT12-JAN2

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 9-14-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.38

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 2x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-14-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5638
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.30.20258.18391
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.30.20258.18391
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\import_ACAD.rhp “AutoCAD file import: import_ACAD”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.30.20258.18391
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.30.20258.18391
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”