Rhino 6 & MS Surface Pro 3

Hi
I’m experiencing poor display performances with rhino 6 on my Surface Pro 3.
In release 5 Rhino was really fast but now seems lagging, in all non wireframe modes…any suggestion?

(Dale Fugier) #2

Hi @lio,

Launch the Rhino WIP and pick Help > System Information. Can you provide us this data?

Thanks,

– Dale

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-6-21 (Rhino WIP, 6.0.17172.1151, 
Git hash:master @ ac2391d7625174b8a345613c644dbe31837ce3aa)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (OpenGL ver:4.3.0 - Build 20.19.15.4568)

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: None
  Mip Map Filtering: None
  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: None

Vendor Name: Intel
  Render version: 4.3
  Shading Language: 4.30 - Build 20.19.15.4568
  Driver Date: 12-16-2016
  Driver Version: 20.19.15.4568
  Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
  Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
  Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
  Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Exactly the same effect as with a Surface 3 (non Pro ):

We know the Intel HD series is not the best GPU.
But V5 plays quite good with it.
That and more is expected in V6.

Charles

Hi Dale,
I’m back to this old topic to ask you if any improvements have been made in R6 about view performance.
I see that the webpage of R6 says that with recent hardware viewing is faster on R6 than R5…I have to assume that older hardware will not and no fix is going to be made?
This will help me to understand the lifecycle of my hardware…thank you.
Best
Leonardo

I dare say…yeah probably? People have been loudly pleading since Day 1 for Rhino to leverage the graphics hardware better(which is to say since before most graphics hardware actually did a damn thing,) and it’s awesome, I have a 1080ti and the speed up is incomprehensible, V5 seems broken now. But obviously, there’s a price to be paid for that, you need half-decent hardware, which those old Intel HD graphics are…not. You don’t need a 1080, but anything else than that is going to be a lot better.

(Steve Baer) #7

I would recommend trying the evaluation of Rhino 6. We did make optimizations to help with older GPUs since this topic was last discussed.

Leonardo

Nothing to complain with the release version.
V6 runs ok on the Intel GPUs here.

Thank you all…just downloaded the trial…I’m going to test it soon.

Some intels I tried didn’t work too well with GPU tessellation on…
But I think that was like on an ATOM chipset.

(Steve Baer) #11

Almost all Intel GPUs except for the very latest models (ones that support OpenGL 4.4 and above) do not use GPU tessellation at all. This is true even if the checkbox is checked.

I see. I thought having that option checked is main way to speed up the display…

(Steve Baer) #13

That is one of the primary ways to speed up display. We found that the Intel drivers that only support OpenGL 4.3 and below have bugs in how they handle GPU tessellation so we draw with an alternative method on those machines. This method is slower than GPU tessellation, but at least you get the correct results.