Rhino 6 Mac - TextObject font choice

okey, I encountered an issue when the text is located in the block. Then when I try to change the font in the block, it does not react to the changes or it changes the font to the original Helvetica by itself. I will try to cover this in a video somehow…

Petr

Hey @petumatr, just to let you know this hasn’t fallen completely off my radar. We’ve just been swamped with macOS Catalina issues. I hope to return to this when I have the bandwidth.

A post was split to a new topic: Problems with TextObjects in Blocks

HI @dan
I have just come across the Helvetica issue when operating in Layouts. It is very unstable, I will try to summarize more next week.

Hi @dan,
I tried to investigate a bit more this week, it seems to me that the Helvetica Neue family somewhat clings to the Helvetica (regular) font.

The video - the behaviour is still very unpredictable I think, here it shows that Helvetica uses Bold option as a default. https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/f/a/fa0ea346b1dc32b41b222163b2853bb429cb6530.mov

I also feel that layout is more problematic, see the screenshot: it shows different font comparing to model space. When I play a bit with changing fonts within Helvetica neue family, the font jumps back to the Helvetica every now and then: that said I have fe. text which has Helvetica neue Medium, after deselecting and selecting again, it changes to Helvetica.

Sorry for a bit chaotic description, It simply follows the unpredictable behaviour on my side. Are you able to reproduce anything mentioned above?

Hi @dan,
have you had any spare time to check this? :slight_smile: I was thinking if you are unable to reproduce this, we can have a quick online chat / shared screen if it would help. As it seems to me, it is extremely unpredictable here.

Petr

Hi @petumatr,
I can reproduce this but would you mind sharing your file so I can examine it as well?

Hi Alain, sure! Could you give me your email address? I will send you a bit more private company `stamp´ we have problem with.

Hi @Alain!
Have you received the file? Have you found it problematic as well? And could we expect this to be fixed in upcoming service releases?

Hey @petumatr-

Sorry, I was swamped with other things and I didn’t have a chance to circle back here. I apologize. I’m glad to hear @Alain is taking a look though.

Hi @dan,
yep, I am in touch with @Alain. Just let me guys know if you need any further help with files, samples etc.

1 Like

Hi @Alain and @dan! Happy 2020 :slight_smile:

I´ve noticed there might be some fix for the font issue in new 6.22. SRC, so I tried. Please see the attached video showing what I experience now. I thought the issue concerns only the Helvetica family, in fact, most of the other fonts are affected by this in my case. https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/0/d/0dd6cbbd3bd0e5a884060d843fd808f5f8cedcc3.mov

Hi @petumatr,
I’m not seeing that in 6.22 in both Mojave and Catalina and with my system language set to English or a non English language. Can you think of something that’s different about your system that I can try to reproduce? Thanks

Hi @Alain,
mmm, that is hard to tell, I will think over it. Just to be sure, are you also arunning this version?
Version 6 (6.22.20007.03462, 2020-01-07)

edit: I have Rhino 5 and WIP installed on my computer (if this could mean something)

I have Version 6 (6.22.20009.23262, 2020-01-09).
@wim, can you reproduce this?

Ok this one is newer, I am not able to download it now.

Sorry, I got a newer version but it’s only a couple of days newer and shouldn’t make a difference.

I see,
do you have any ideas what should I check? Right now I dont have any thoughts of what could cause this.

What languages are your macOS and Rhino set to?

good point - we have English as a main setting, norwegian for keyboard.