Rhino 6 Mac - TextObject font choice

Hi @dan!
That´s fantastic news and thank you for letting me know. I am looking forward to seeing this font implemented in R6 :slight_smile: don’t you know, does this fix help to accept the Helvetica Neue text from R5 file? We just have so many templates in R5 based on this font.

It should. Once we have a build published, let’s test with your condition and make sure. We should have a bit of time to tune it up if it fails the test.

1 Like

Hi @dan!

After a long while, I tried to check my Rhino 6 for windows (so this probably doesn´t belong into this thread) and I found there is the same issue with Helvetica fonts. Do you know, does the 6.19 SRC solve it for both platforms or just mac? Thank you :slight_smile:

Do you know, does the 6.19 SRC solve it for both platforms or just mac?

I believe this particular fix only applies to Helvetica Neue on macOS and Arial on Windows. I might be confused. We’ll have a 6.19 SRC out soon enough and you can test to see if it suits your needs on both platforms.

Ok Dan, lets wait and test :slight_smile:

Hey @petumatr-

Can you please test in the first Rhino 6 for Mac SR19 Release Candidate?

1 Like

Hi @dan,
thank you! At first glance, Helvetica Neue fonts work as expected. The only thing is that it can’t read the R5 files with Helvetica Neue family, so all different fonts in Helvetica Neue (light, thin etc.) family is transferred into simple Helvetica when opened in R6.

Cheers,
Petr

okey, I encountered an issue when the text is located in the block. Then when I try to change the font in the block, it does not react to the changes or it changes the font to the original Helvetica by itself. I will try to cover this in a video somehow…

Petr

Hey @petumatr, just to let you know this hasn’t fallen completely off my radar. We’ve just been swamped with macOS Catalina issues. I hope to return to this when I have the bandwidth.

A post was split to a new topic: Problems with TextObjects in Blocks

HI @dan
I have just come across the Helvetica issue when operating in Layouts. It is very unstable, I will try to summarize more next week.

Hi @dan,
I tried to investigate a bit more this week, it seems to me that the Helvetica Neue family somewhat clings to the Helvetica (regular) font.

The video - the behaviour is still very unpredictable I think, here it shows that Helvetica uses Bold option as a default. https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/f/a/fa0ea346b1dc32b41b222163b2853bb429cb6530.mov

I also feel that layout is more problematic, see the screenshot: it shows different font comparing to model space. When I play a bit with changing fonts within Helvetica neue family, the font jumps back to the Helvetica every now and then: that said I have fe. text which has Helvetica neue Medium, after deselecting and selecting again, it changes to Helvetica.

Sorry for a bit chaotic description, It simply follows the unpredictable behaviour on my side. Are you able to reproduce anything mentioned above?

Hi @dan,
have you had any spare time to check this? :slight_smile: I was thinking if you are unable to reproduce this, we can have a quick online chat / shared screen if it would help. As it seems to me, it is extremely unpredictable here.

Petr

Hi @petumatr,
I can reproduce this but would you mind sharing your file so I can examine it as well?

Hi Alain, sure! Could you give me your email address? I will send you a bit more private company `stamp´ we have problem with.

Hi @Alain!
Have you received the file? Have you found it problematic as well? And could we expect this to be fixed in upcoming service releases?

Hey @petumatr-

Sorry, I was swamped with other things and I didn’t have a chance to circle back here. I apologize. I’m glad to hear @Alain is taking a look though.

Hi @dan,
yep, I am in touch with @Alain. Just let me guys know if you need any further help with files, samples etc.

1 Like

Hi @Alain and @dan! Happy 2020 :slight_smile:

I´ve noticed there might be some fix for the font issue in new 6.22. SRC, so I tried. Please see the attached video showing what I experience now. I thought the issue concerns only the Helvetica family, in fact, most of the other fonts are affected by this in my case. https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/0/d/0dd6cbbd3bd0e5a884060d843fd808f5f8cedcc3.mov

Hi @petumatr,
I’m not seeing that in 6.22 in both Mojave and Catalina and with my system language set to English or a non English language. Can you think of something that’s different about your system that I can try to reproduce? Thanks