Rhino 6 lagging during copy/drag

Hi,

I’ve been having an issue using Rhino 6 with big files that are primarily curves (drawing sets). When I go to copy a cluster of line work and move it someplace, it lags down so considerably that it’s almost too frustrating to use. Same happens while dragging things. Normal cursor outside of that is fine and smooth, as is drawing lines. However, if I grab a control point, the lag comes back. If I isolate and hide everything but what I’m working on it’s not quite as bad, but still laggy. It’s only been in Rhino 6 that this has happened, in Rhino 5 it was super smooth and fast/responsive. I have the latest updates. Running Windows 10 and Nvidia 1060.

Any ideas? Desperate for help on this I have all my files split into vers 5 and vers 6 because 6 is so dysfunctional on my computer.

Andrew

Hi
This problem could be related to display drivers and a recent Windows update.

Please run the Windows’ Device Manager, and expand the Display adapter section.
You’ll probably have two.
Right-mouse click on the first one, choose Properties, and the Driver tab.
Please take a screenshot of those details.
Repeat these steps for the other adapter if there is one.

Also, in Rhino V6, run the SystemInfo command.

Please return all that information and the two screenshots in a reply.
They should have the details we need to make an accurate assessment.

Thanks

John,

Thanks for the reply. Here is the screenshot:

Here is copied from RhinoSysteminfo:

Rhino 6 SR10 2018-10-23 (Rhino 6, 6.10.18296.11021, Git hash:master @ 8f369631e4ea2149f6415ec3bb4689e5dc18acb6)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-10-23
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Living Design Studios (Living Design Studios Drafting Team)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: LDSDRAFTING7

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.36)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-24-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9836
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.10.18296.11021
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.10.18296.11021
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.10.18296.11021
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.10.18296.11021
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

• Andrew

That should perform just fine.
I expected to see a second embedded Intel chip with a driver more than a month old.

Are these curves you’re dragging around in the model or are they in the layout space?

In the model space

Can you send me a model with this problem so I can try the same thing here?
Please describe exactly how you are dragging them so I can reproduce the problem here.

So far I’m not making much headway. The performance isn’t terrible. Certainly lots better then V5 was with a similar file.

There are some “Bad objects” (SelBadObjects), and a lot of perfect duplicates (SelDup). Deleting them helps some.

In Rhino Options > View > OpenGL, do you have GPU Tessellation checked?
If not it should be checked.

I’m getting 4.16 FPS on a crappy little Intel HD 540 and a little over 6 FPS on a Quadro P2000 using TextMaxSpeed in V6

Interesting. When I export that exact file to Rhino 5 and open it, it is about 10x faster moving the exact same things in the 6 file.

Thanks for the tip on the bad objects and duplicates - hard to tell but I think that helped a little bit.

What about the GPU Tessellation setting in Options > View > OpenGL?

Yep, that is checked.

@stevebaer, @jeff
Do you bigger brains have any ideas why this file is so slow in V6 on this GTX 1060?
It has lots of annotations, text, hatches, and curves.

@John_Brock Do you have the file mentioned here?

I need to see the file to make any kind of educated guess.

-J

@atblackstock

What happens if you close down V6 and start it up again…and then read in the V5 version of the file? Is it still slow?

-J

@jeff
I do. I’ll get it staged for you.
I just Shared it with you.

:+1:

@atblackstock Ok, I have your file… Can you give me a step-by-step process that shows the problem?

• Tell me what to pick and how much to pick
  • Tell me how to drag it (i.e. gumball, mouse, move command, etc…)

Thanks,
-Jeff

Right now, I’m selecting one of those blocks of linework, then running Copy… I do see that dragging the copy around is slower than a regular frame update…going to try the same thing in V5 now…

I think I’m seeing the problem… Selecting stuff and dragging it around using any method seems to be about 3x-4x slower than a standard frame update for all objects.

Something definitely seems borked here.

I’ll let you know what I find.

-J

Jeff -

Thanks for checking the file out. You got it - basically I’m copying, moving, and editing lots of line work around and it’s really bogged down. Seriously slows down efficiency and is frustrating. As a result I’ve split the project into many smaller files and approval drawings but now I’m in the process of making a record set that incorporates all the information so it’s hard to avoid having all the line work shown on/off constantly. About half the stuff in the file was generated in Rhino 5 originally, if that helps.

Really appreciate you guys helping look into this for me - this has been driving me completely nuts every since switching to 6 and I haven’t been able to make any headway on it at all. I’m at the point now that I’m just hoping that after this project is over I can make a completely native Rhino 6 template file from scratch and pray the same problems won’t happen if the whole project is built in Rhino 6.

You guys are awesome

Andrew

Hi
Did they find out the issue?
I’m experiencing the same problem.

For starters, can you run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the result here?