Rhino 6 freezing

We have to use Polyframe for Structures class extensively. I haven’t tried running rhino in safe mode.
At home I have an external monitor connected to my laptop by VGA cable.

Hi - yes, please try to run in safe mode.
Also, is the behavior the same if you run the laptop connected to the external monitor than if you run it without external monitor?
-wim

It still crashed my computer without an extra monitor. Sometimes it crashes my computer, and sometimes just rhino. I opened it in safe mode, but impossible to use with only wireframe viewports. It usually takes a bit of time to act up so it would be difficult to know.

Hi Robin - In your initial post there are a couple of non-default or third party plug-ins:

PanelingTools (ours, I know but does not ship with Rhino)
ProRender

In your more recent post these are not shown. Are they blocked? Does it make any difference to the issue you are having if these two plug-ins are blocked or loaded?

The RAM on your system is not a great deal - ~8GB… I don’t know what size files you are dealing with but it would not hurt at all to double that. Windows itself can use a lot just keeping its head above water.

-Pascal

I got rid of ProRender and Paneling Tools because of another issue caused by rhino which worked but didn’t seem to effect this issue. I’m not dealing with huge files, and it doesn’t seem to effect the crash occurence likelyhood when I am.

Hi Robin,

When you say “crash”, does that mean that Rhino just disappears and, for you PC, that you get a Blue Screen? Or does everything just hang? Do you ever get the crash reporting dialog for Rhino?

It’s not meant to be a work-around for the problem but we would like to know if you still get Rhino to freeze when you are in safe mode.

Something else you could try: when Rhino hangs, please follow the instructions in the attached PDF for creating a dump file. Please post that resulting file here.
Creating a dump file for Rhino.pdf (761.0 KB)
-wim

Hi I am currently a student and I have been using the evaluation trial, but recently I have had issues with it constantly freezing my computer after a couple minutes of use. So far I have tried repairing Rhino is my programs, uninstalling it and reinstalling it, and reinstalling it with a different email but none have seemed to fix my issue.

Rhino 6 SR23 2020-2-24 (Rhino 6, 6.23.20055.13111, Git hash:master @ 8106edaa648ba209a8fc587f0f7fcccbaac09169)
License type: Evaluation, build 2020-02-24
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Anthony Grimaldi ()
Expires on: 2020-05-25

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 12Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-KTK4CEQ

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-29-2016 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.4.0 - Build 20.19.15.4531

Secondary graphics devices.
AMD Radeon R7 M270 (AMD) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 8-6-2015 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.4
Shading Language: 4.40 - Build 20.19.15.4531
Driver Date: 9-29-2016
Driver Version: 20.19.15.4531
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

You’re running very old display drivers.

Go to the graphics card maker’s Web sites and find updated drivers for your version of Windows and your specific models of display adapters.
DO NOT rely on the automatic checking tools as they have a near perfect failure rate.

If you have two display adapters, update the drivers for both of them.
Download and install the updated drivers.

Intel
(https://downloadcenter.intel.com/)

If your computer tells you the new driver isn’t validated for you computer, here’s how to fix that:
(https://www.howtogeek.com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computer-on-intel-computers/)

AMD
https://www.amd.com/en/support

Any luck?

I did not read all this thread and in a harry and I do not know if is this case but:
Rhino freeze when dragging or copy and paste and instantly using gumball move or copy. I remember experimenting with this problem when a shader material with a big texture is applied to it. Somehow was reported into a bug. What I was able to understand is that some people use big BMP or Tiff texture files (big in Mb instead of jpg) and Rhino bug is physically copy when them when moving the object or similar issue. this is hypothetical because I do not remember well.

To fix this I take out the material and the texture. I apply a 512x512 png texture.

Probably reported here:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-47093

And some light at the end of this thread:

As stated above, update your graphics drivers.
Also, use your AMD Radeon R7 card for your primary display (the one you run Rhino on) and secondary display if the ports on the card allow, if not then run your auxilary display ( folders, email, browser) from the Intel card.

Find whichever display is plugged into your Radeon card and in the display settings, check “make this my primary display”. The Radeon card is much stronger than the on-board Intel display chipset. Hope this helps.

So I updated my drivers and increased my Total Video Memory to 4 GB, but I still get the “Intel Video Driver Update Recommended” notification and it still freezes.

Rhino 6 SR23 2020-2-24 (Rhino 6, 6.23.20055.13111, Git hash:master @ 8106edaa648ba209a8fc587f0f7fcccbaac09169)
License type: Evaluation, build 2020-02-24
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Anthony Grimaldi ()
Expires on: 2020-05-25

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-KTK4CEQ

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 1-21-2020 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: AMD Radeon R7 M265 Series (AMD) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 3-17-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.13587 Compatibility Profile Context 20.3.1 26.20.15029.15007

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 3-17-2020
Driver Version: 26.20.15029.15007
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.23.20055.13111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”