Rhino 6 for Mac: A tentative release date

iirc, it was $295 at introduction

(i’m not giving an opinion on the upgrade cost, i’ll pay whatever it is McNeel will be charging to go to V6… it’s a good deal either way to me… just saying i don’t think there was ever a €95 offer for a fresh Mac license… maybe if you were an existing licensed Windows user?)

I’ve been wondering if we should adjust that page to also show things that are only available on Mac like versions and dark mode support.

1 Like

Correct.

Also correct. The 95€$ was a special offer for Windows users who wanted to switch to Mac when V5 for Mac was first introduced. That started about a month before V5 for Mac was officially announced (June 2015). The introductory price was then 295€$ for a couple of months after that, then it went to the normal price of 495€$. There was a later price rise to 695€$ at the beginning of 2017 - I think because Grasshopper and a few other things were finally added.

The prices above are of course MSRP from McNeel, not the hard-discounter, market crasher prices that certain retailers in certain regions practice.

2 Likes

You did. A few of my Mac customers actually bought one back then.

Yes they did. And it was announced publicly.

Yeah, I got mine over a year ago.

Philip

2 Likes

Please do work on the performance issues some of us are experiencing.

Rhino was always a very fast piece of software, using the system resources it was running on very intelligently. Please try to maintain as you update the software also in v6.

Where the performance is really lacking:
scrolling, opening and closing views, open named view panel, changing display modes, texturizing a geometry. Most of that feels and is in fact much slower on v6 than in v5.

Important: please also make sure that opening a dwg is painless and fast, even if it is a compicated and large file. Most of our manufacturers here in Italy send us dwgs which we use as references to our 3d designs. They also send us technical details, floor plans, sections ecc. - all in dwg, which I have to say is the best exchange file method for 2d technical drawings.

We also do our architectual and design drawings (talking about 2d) mostly in Rhinoceros, which saves us time and we do not need and want to use another software for only 2d drawing.

Last seconds …

We did, I bought one and have been using Rhino for Mac since 2008. Actually @Helvetosaur mentioned to buy it then, because it would be cross-platform, even if I never use Win Rhino, which I haven’t, but I have my V6 license.

«Randy

1 Like

It’s July 9th! Well, I did say tentative… :grimacing:

We have found a bug that is causing us to delay shipping Rhino 6 for Mac. We are working on it now, as well as investigating a number of potential display optimizations.

3 Likes

Hi, Mac users are waiting! haha! any indicative/ projected release date? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, no. We need to get this right. The plan remains the same:

My hope is this is a matter of weeks.

1 Like

With a windows license and a mac computer I wasn’t ‘allowed’ to! But I’m glad that this will never happen again (: with a common license.

I’m sorry but it is clearly different when you have an option to upgrade when you know a piece of software is actually available and can try it before buying it.

To say that is the same as buying a year* in advance is simply not right.

• when we don’t even know for sure when V6 will be released for the Mac even now, no one knew when it would be released a year ago. Just throwing €400 at a company for a potential future benefit is not something many people do. It could have been years and years given the experience of the Mac V5 development process.

edit:
I think this speaks for itself

any news ? … i want to try rhino 7 wip and quadremesh command … i need it :smiley:

No news yet…but we’ll announce it here on Discourse first.

In my opinion Rhino mac 6 has some serious performance issues. If it is released like that I am afraid that a lot of mac clients remain very disappointed and will not switch or turn their back on Rhino.

Is this the performance issue which you are referring to?

No reply to this?

Rhino 6 for Mac is now available for purchase. Here’s a bit more information for those of you who have been contributing to its development.

I think this topic has served its purpose. It would be really helpful to those of us juggling incoming information if new topics could be started. To that end, I’m closing out this one so it doesn’t run away from me.

Thanks again y’all. We’re not done with our optimizations yet.

2 Likes