Rhino 6 documentation bugs

Rhino documentation file: https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/options/view_display_mode_clippingplanes.htm
says: Clipping plane objects…
Color usage
Specifies how the color for the clipping plane object fill is determined.
Viewport
Uses the viewport background color.

In reality, the viewport option displays layer’s color rather than background color. This option should be renamed “Layer’s color”.

The same Rhino documentation file says:
Plane’s material
Uses the clipping plane’s color or layer color property.

This is true, but confusing because materials cannot be assigned to the clipping planes. This option should be renamed “Plane’s color”.

(Kelvin Cheng) #134

This is actually possible.

I’ll review, thanks.

Yes, it is possible to assign material to a clipping plane or a curve by dragging materials to these objects, but these materials cannot be edited, and curve material is meaningless. I believe that Rhino should not assign materials to curves. On the other hand, assigning materials to clipping planes is reasonable and should be supported with material property page icon in the clipping plane panel.

(Kelvin Cheng) #136

Materials can be assigned to curves because of curve piping.

I agree. RH-48871

I know that you (KelvinC) are busy with Rhino, but you should be aware of incomplete documentation of the Bongo plugin. I helped Margaret Becker write Bongo 2.0 help file. I complained about incomplete description of inverse kinematics to Margaret Becker and to Luc Adriaenssen, who is now main support technician of Bongo. Margaret and I did not have sufficient knowledge about inverse kinematics to write long chapter about it. Luc Adriaenssen and Marika Almgren understand inverse kinematics well, so they can write the missing chapter about inverse kinematics. Luc Adriaenssen shares my opinion that Bongo documentation is incomplete, and that inverse kinematics needs much more extensive documentation.

(Kelvin Cheng) #138

http://bongo.rhino3d.com and Bongo documentation are maintained by @marika_almgren as I know of.

(Marika Almgren) #139

@Andrew_Nowicki is actually right in that sense that for the Bongo help file, the documentation is incomplete at the moment and there are a updates under my name that would require @KelvinC your attention. I’ll write to you privately about them. Margaret was swamped with the Rhino 6 doc before she retired so they’re put on hold.
Andrew if you have anything that you feel required to be updated. Please post on the Bongo forum and I’ll make bugtrack items for them.

Documentation of Options>Mesh command is here: http://docs.mcneel.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/documentproperties/mesh.htm

It says: The Mesh properties manage the mesh settings for the current model. Whenever you shade or render a NURBS surface, the surface first converts into a polygon mesh. These detailed render mesh options control the way in which the NURBS surfaces convert to polygon meshes. You may want to adjust these values if you are not satisfied with the default shade and render quality.

This description is accurate, but it has three flaws:

1. I would replace “the mesh settings” with “render mesh settings” or “Document Mesh settings” or “document render mesh settings” in the first sentence. (This documentation file: docs.mcneel.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/properties/object.htm calls these mesh settings “Document Mesh settings”.)
  2. It does not explain how to find optimal density of the render mesh. The Preview does not display the meshes, so it cannot provide a hint that the render meshes are too dense.
  3. It does not explain that Properties>Object command can override the Document Mesh settings with custom render mesh settings so that different objects have different settings.

The ShowRenderMesh command displays the render meshes. Its documentation is here: https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/commands/showrendermesh.htm

The ShowRenderMesh documentation is also flawed because it does not explain the purpose of this command. It would be good idea to add a few sentences explaining that the purpose of this command is optimizing render mesh density and that there are two ways to change the render mesh density:

1. Options>Mesh command changes all render meshes. These settings are called Document Mesh settings.
  2. Properties>Object command (F3 keyboard shortcut) opens Properties panel and its Object page. The Object page has custom render mesh settings. It can change render mesh of every object independently of the Document Mesh settings.

(Kelvin Cheng) #141

It’s not “Layer’s color”. It depends on the “Display Color” set in the object’s properties. It is “By Layer” by default, but you can customize the color. And in the Rendered display mode, it displays with the object’s material. I’ll change the description to

Viewport
Follows how the object displays in the viewport.

(Kelvin Cheng) #142

Preview does display the render mesh, even if in the Wireframe display mode.

Am I confused?

I use Rhino 6.9, keep clicking the preview and I do not see any meshes. It seems to be a bug. It makes no difference whether I select any objects or not.

(Kelvin Cheng) #144

Yes, it’s a bug. I found I had this bug report 6 years ago. Preview only displays in the Wireframe mode.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-13288

I can see the meshes only in wireframe, technical, artistic, and pen modes.

(Kelvin Cheng) #146

That’s correct, thanks for testing.

(Jeff Lasor) #147

That’s actually not accurate… You can see the meshes in Shaded modes too… You just can’t see the mesh wireframes… Which is being done on purpose (currently)… This is going to be one of those personal/philosophical issues I’m afraid…

What is more important to you to see in this case when the view is in a shaded mode?

A) The mesh wireframes
or
B) The actual shaded render meshes

…and keep in mind that if/when the wireframes are being displayed, they will most likely occlude and cover most of the shaded meshes.

Some users will argue A, while other users will argue B… Being able to see the differences in rendered meshes (i.e. how specularity shows, how textures will be seen, how decals, how reflections, how bump maps, etc…) is usually preferred over being able to see the wires…and showing the wires will almost guarantee negating all of that.

So currently, this is not a bug…it is by design…and I’m not sure going the other route (‘A’) is something I should just do without more feedback and discussion.

@pascal ? @KelvinC ?

-Jeff

(Pascal Golay) #148

@jeff - I generally want to see the wires, myself - one thing that gets in the way of assessing the shading at the moment is that you can’t move the views while DocProprties is open. Wires can still give you an overall idea of how the mesh is with settings changes, perhaps more so than a static and maybe not very well chosen shaded view. At any rate, I look at the wires…

I guess in the long run it would be best to control this from the dialog…

-Pascal

(Jeff Lasor) #149

@pascal Please read my latest comments in the YT item… I think there may be a possible compromise…

Let me know…

-J

(Pascal Golay) #150

Added my noise…

-Pascal

(Jeff Lasor) #151

Ok, I’ve committed said changes/compromise.

Thanks,
-Jeff

(Kelvin Cheng) #152

Fixed in 6.11. Thanks.