Rhino 6 crashes Win7 when changing Linear Resolution in Length Units

When trying to change the Linear Resolution Rhino crashes. Windows 7 freezes and I have to reset the PC to get it to restart. Attempting to go to Task Manager fails. Mouse locks up.

This has been going on for several months on various builds. Repeatability in the 25 to 50 percent range.

I am working with simple 2d drawings in Top view exclusively. Files have been checked for bad items and removed as needed. Also sometimes perform Save Small to compress files. When working on a drawing I need a higher resolution dimension displayed, and a lower resolution when releasing the drawing.

I have checked system logs for reasons of the crashes with nothing obvious standing out. All drivers updated when released. Windows updates performed recently.

Overall my system has been stable for years. The only crashes are on a couple of games I have when I mod them incorrectly.

I had to switch to Release Candidate Builds a few months ago to fix another unrelated crash bug that is currently fixed. I don’t remember which bug that was.

As a former Computer Engineer at MS I am very familiar with computer systems, but this one eludes me. I don’t know what else to check.

my system:
Rhino 6 SR14 2019-4-2 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19092.15531, Git hash:master @ ea9b9398e488565c23a55b592409606ca5fcdc20)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-04-02

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Radeon ™ RX 480 Graphics (AMD) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 3-26-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.13547 Compatibility Profile Context 25.20.15031.1000

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 3-26-2019
Driver Version: 25.20.15031.1000
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19092.15531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19092.15531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19092.15531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19092.15531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

Hello - does this happen with a new file and default annotation styles? Are you by any chance using a W7 ‘classic’ display?

-Pascal

It seems to only happen on a 3dm file that I use as a default template. And not all the time.
I did have an annotation style added but I deleted that and modified the default style to set the model space to 1 and the font size to one. Still the occasional crash.
I am using a standard Aero theme. Not classic.
I wonder if my default template file is bad. The original was made in Rhino 5 and upgraded to version 6.
I have checked for bad entities and have none.
I could try creating a new one from scratch. It may take awhile.

Could there be issues when upgrading a file made with Rhino 5 to Rhino 6?

In the area of annotation, I can imagine there might be since there were so many changes there.

-Pascal

Maybe a good idea to share the template file here for further investigation. :slight_smile:

I am working on getting permission to do so. Thanks. :)>

xxx2019yyzz 000.3dm (1.5 MB)
And I should have stuck it in the last post. Oops!

New Edit: I found by creating a new template from scratch eliminates the problem. I still wonder if I am asking for trouble whenever I load and edit a file created with an old version of Rhino. I think there still may be unresolved issues when version 6 upgrades Rhino files created from previous version.