Rhino 6: copied object get same material. How to stop this?

Well, it would be easy if the first difference spotted was the cause, wouldn’t it?

Hi Pascal,

sure, here the files:

Step 1 Box plus Drag and Drop.3dm (192.1 KB)
Step 2 Copy.3dm (290.5 KB)
Step 3 Drag and Drop to one but both get the material.3dm (339.7 KB)

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael - thanks - one last question for now - are the machines where the problem shows up running Rhino in German or English? I doubt it should make a difference but one never knows.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

German and English are installed. And I’ve tested it in both languages, it results in the same bug.

Thanks

Michael

OK, thanks.

RH-59466 Materials: Drag and Drop on copies error

-Pascal

Hi @andy (and @pascal),

its about Rhino 6, not 7. Just tested, the bug is still in the current 6.30.20238.13311.

Tell me, if you need more info.

Thanks

Michae

@Michael_Meyer - several people have looked at this and so far no one here can reproduce this - does it happen for you in V7 or only V6 ?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal,

still buggy in V6 (6.30.20246.16281, 02.09.2020), and not in V7.

Michael

Hi @pascal,

this bug popped up again in Rhino 7 (SystemInformation.txt (1.8 KB) ), please see:

I will send you the 3dm-file in private.

Thanks

Michael

The bug in the video of the gem is not the same bug as the original with the two wooden boxes. They are unrelated systems but both bugs happen to be about copying something. This is one I can definitely look into since this is happening in my code. @pascal Please log a bug and forward the 3dm file to me in private.

Thanks.

John

1 Like

@Michael_Meyer - there are several objects, grouped, in the file, so with that selection, the behavior you show seems correct. If you select just the one polysurface, the behavior is as expected also - no more extra copies can be made after the first one. Does that make sense?

@johnc, fyi…

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi @pascal,

so for grouped objects no material copies can be made. This seams wired to me.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael - I think the problem is this: It is not the grouping it is the multiple selection -every time you make a ‘unique copy’, the new material is immediately shared by multiple objects, so the same notification that the material is shared by multiple objects shows up again. Unless I misunderstood what the bug is…

-Pascal