Rhino 6 bug - ShowZBuffer

@Jarek @pascal … Does it happen in any shaded mode? Try Shaded …try some different combos of selected vs. non… Then do the same thing in Rendered mode. …and see if you get consistent behavior in both modes or if it’s different.

I managed to get the “box thing” to appear here…but now I can’t. Something is obviously out of whack… My views always look good though…it’s only when I capture the results do I see the strangeness…is that true for you guys as well?

-J

Hi Jeff,

Yes, all looks good in the Vport before capturing always (except for in WireFrame if anything is selected, it disappears form the ZBuffer view - not a big deal though).

But when capturing, tested in many modes (Shaded, Ghosted, Rendered, Arctic, Wireframe) - the “selection” bug in captured result is consistent.

–jarek

@Jarek Found it! Fixed it… I just found the problem and the latest build of the day should have the fix in it…Please try it out and see if I’m just blowing smoke :slight_smile:
-J

Great to hear Jeff. Thanks :slight_smile: I don’t have access to daily builds but will give it a shot as soon as there is a SR or SR RC available.

-j

This bug has been fixed in Rhino 6.3.

hi @jeff
was it always the case that ShowZBuffer was showing the curves as well? Somehow I thought they used to be ignored in that mode and now they show up… but I may just be tired and it has always been like that.
(I’d prefer not to see them there!)

thank you,

–jarek

@Jarek
FYI–Not showing any curves here in Version 6 SR11 (6.11.18338.9511, 12/04/2018)

Hm. I get curves here:

-Pascal

:blush:
OK I got curves also.
I had curve layer turned off.

I’ve never done that. Ever.

-Pascal

:astonished:

~Fred

I see curves as well. My question was, if anyone remembers if it was always like that? I could swear before the curves/edges were not showing in that mode, but I can be wrong…

Hi Jarek - V5’s testShowZBuffer does show curves.

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal. I must have blacked out then (depth=0 of brain ZBuffer…)

2 Likes

Hi Jarek,

Sorry, was out on vacation…

Everything has always been included in the Z-Buffer…and by “everything” I mean anything you see in the viewport for a given display mode, that affects the z-buffer, will be included… ShowZBuffer is just basically showing you the depth values that get generated for exactly what it is you’re looking at…there is no special casing of objects, or types of objects. There could be, but that would basically require the ShowZBuffer command to support setting/un-setting all of the display mode attributes.

If ShowZBuffer didn’t show wires or curves, then you’d get a black viewport when using it on something like Wireframe…which isn’t accurate…wires and curves do take up depth buffer space… If you don’t want to see wires or curves in the output, can’t you just turn them off? Or I guess create a “ZBufferView” display mode, and then create a macro for ShowZBuffer, that sets that display mode, and then calls ShowZBuffer … or something like that.

-J

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, that makes perfect sense… I can definitely work with the above.

–jarek