Rhino 6 and Rhino 7

Hello, how is Rhino 7 different from Rhino 6? What is newer? What to choose?

Rhino 7 is currently being developed and will eventually be the successor to Rhino 6. My guess is it will be several years before Rhino 7 is released. I doubt if McNeel has decided exactly what will be in Rhino 7.

Currently no choice needed. If you have a license for Rhino 6 you can also install the latest Rhino 7 Work In Progress version and explore it. Periodically a new version of the WIP is released which sometimes have improvements or new features. One new feature is EdgeContinuity which shows the difference in location, tangency or curvature between the adjacent edges of two surfaces. There are also some Sub-D commands being added.

Well, version 6 seems to be stable. I think this is the right choice. A year later (or earlier) I think and go to version 7.

No choice is needed and no extra cost is involved. I have both V6 and V7 installed, and use V7 if I want a feature such as the new EdgeContinuity command which is not available in V6. My guess is it will be several years before V7 is officially released.

1 Like

Can I have 2 versions in parallel?

And what is the latest version of Rhino 6? 6.11?

Here’s how Rhino development works:
V6 SR10 I think is the current released version.
V6 SR11 is the current service release candidate.
SR12 will be up next. That’s where new fixes are being added.
The system moves to the next SR every 4-6 weeks or so.
This cycle will continue until the severity of the remaining defects become small enough they don’t cause much trouble, or the fix would require a major change.
At that point, current version work is scaled back and development effort goes into work for the next version.

5 Likes

You can have both Rhino 6 and Rhino 7 WIP installed on your computer(s) at the same time. You can Rhino 6 and Rhino 7 WIP open at the same time on one computer (assuming one Rhino 6 license). You can have multiple sessions of either or both open at the same time on one computer.

1 Like

Wow, cool! I thought so can not …