Rhino 5 for Mac Evaluation still available?

Hi,

I am a university student working on my project. Most of the time I have had access to our university labs with Rhino properly installed and licensed. With the current development of Covid, the approaching holiday season, and the unstable availability of campus facilities, I need to get Rhino installed on my own laptop so that I can keep going when I cannot manage to secure a place at the labs.

The problem is, I have a very old MacBook Pro, namely the mid-2009 version, which is stuck at OS X El Capitan. I cannot upgrade it any further. That means only Rhino 5 for Mac is supported by my machine. I noticed that Rhino 5 for Mac Evaluation is no longer available on the Rhino website. Are there still ways for me to get it?

Sorry if this were a common question. I have done a lot of searching here and the closest and latest thing I could get is this post. The solution in there seemed to suggest that it was still available (last year), just not widely. I totally understand the devs’ decision to drop support and evaluation for an obsolete product, but this seems to be the only thing that works for me, so I’d be very very grateful if someone could help me out here.

I have also spoken to a customer support rep on the Rhino website through online chat. The kind lady suggested me to purchase a license for the latest Rhino and then get a legacy key for Rhino 5 for Mac. While this sounds totally feasible, I am a poor student using a 11-year-old laptop… I am afraid I am not in a position where I can spend 195 EURO on a whim…

Any help/pointers will be very, very appreciated.

I’m afraid that the advice that the person from McNeel sales gave you is the only way to have Rhino V5 - evaluations for Rhino 5 or 6 are no longer available.

what if somebody still had an old Rhino 5 Build slumbering on an external harddrive, would that allow evaluation activation?

To activate an evaluation, you need a license key. The eval license keys are timed from the day they are sent - not installed. So you would need a V5 key that was less than 90 days old. Which is simply not possible.

order a new laptop from Apple, install rhino 7, finish your project send the laptop back to apple. you have 14 days to return it.

Thank you for confirming this. I guess that means no luck for me then.

Slightly off topic, I’m actually quite surprised that they have stopped evaluation for rhino 6. On the very front page of their website (rhino3d.com) they are still putting up ‘rhino 6 for Mac and Windows available’, so I was under the impression that rhino 7 is not a stable release yet.

This made me laugh but it is one of the best ideas I’ve heard so far! Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess. Thanks a lot for the idea!

Rhino 7 is out, it’s just not being highly publicized until next week. V6 is no longer being sold except under special circumstances, therefore no evaluation versions either. V5 eval versions haven’t been available for a long time.