Rhino 5 comparability with Rhino 4

I am using Rhino 5 at home and bringing files to work and loading on Rhino 4. The files loaded fine on my existing computer but I just received a new computer and there is a problem loading the files even though I have saved them as V4. Is there an issue with certain entity types going from V5 to V4? What is the fix?

None that we know of. Can you please supply example V4 and V5 files that illustrate the problem?

John,

Thank you for your response. I would like nothing more than to send you example files but I am afraid that I cannot. My employer considers the data proprietary. It is a very perplexing situation where the data read into my work computer previously on a less capable laptop. Because of performance as the size of the file grew they provided me with a more capable computer also with Rhino 4 (it is current). When I try to open the files I get a dialogue box which says to effect that there are unsupported entities, do I want to continue loading without them. I answer yes then get another dialogue box. This one says that the history file is corrupt (this may not be exactly the message as I am going on memory) do I want to continue? I answer yes and a third box appears with another different message. I answer yes to this and after a while the geometry will appear with parts of some groups missing.

The problem may go away as they are purchasing V5 for my use at work.

I am designing advanced cooling schemes for turbine airfoils and have the same issue with your software as I have with all CAD. I would like to have a ‘close enough’ switch, as I am designing I don’t need the entities to be mathematically precise. I spend more time figuring work around plans when the software does not perform the function that I desire.

I have a wish. In a future release can you build in a chaining function to look for discontinuities and flag them for repair. Perhaps the software already has this function and I am not aware of it. By the way Gumball by itself makes V5 worth it.

Thanks again for your attention.

This sounds like corrupted files. Are the files on a network or a flash drive by any chance? You can post non-public files to us via tech@mcneel.com - if that is possible, we can get a better idea what is going on.

-Pascal