Revit 2021 slowdown

I have updated my pc, now using Revit 2021. As soon I drag a few grasshopper components on the canvas, Revit becomes slow, the cursor is always in wait mode, all this with a very small.model (single wall) . Is there anything to do here ? My pc has 24 cores
Gerry

I don’t think your core count amounts for anything else than rendering, Revit is still a single threaded software, as far as I know.

It is true that the number of cores do not matter as Revit is generally running single threaded.

There are some performance bottlenecks when creating Revit elements, like family definitions or 1000s of Directshapes. Using data dams, disabling slow components or using a trigger to isolate slow components can help alot.

There is one area of performance you can see if it shows things down, that is the previews. Turn off the preview on the rhino toolbar on Revit. Does that help? I saw something similar the other day that 27,000+ elements in the preview slowed everything down. This is something we might be able to improve.

1 Like

Problem here is that Revit model is almost empty a single wall, as soon grasshopper is open and a few components are dropped, then deleted, rhino still is slow with hourglass rotating, if I don’t open rhino all works fine.
I have used with Revit 2020 on same pc and it was working fine.

I can do some more testing here.

Can you run the systeminfo command in rhino and send me the results?

1. If you disable the solver does that fix it?
  2. If you disable previews does it fix it?
  3. If you do not drop any Revit components on the canvas and only grasshopper components like add, and number, super simple does it make a difference?

Just trying to see which part might be slowing it down.

Just got a Rhino update
loading a quite large model in grasshopper
even with display in revit active all seems to work fine.
It seems to be working better today, will investigate a bit.
here systeminfo

License type: Not For Resale Lab, build 2020-09-22
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2020-11-06

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 6-24-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 392.56

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-24-2019
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9256
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Users\gerry\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.12.17.906\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20266.15205
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”

Good to hear that it seems better.

The video driver is just a little old and I would update that.

Otherwise, please continue to monitor performance. One of the biggest challenges of any development is to keep speed up while adding features.