Revert to saved version missing

This file has been opened, modified and saved several times but today after making a mess, I went to recall the file and could find no option. See vid. I thought maybe the history function might be involved but I don’t think so.2015-10-18_15-36-04.mp4 (5.4 MB)

I’ve opened some older files that still retain versions, so I’m wondering if/what I’ve done to cause this problem.

Update: After a restart the problem has gone. Still, I’m wondering what may be causing this. I also had an issue where typing in a command would not bring up the list of guesses in the command line box. It’s as
though some bit of the app gets corrupted over time or some particular mistaken key combo … just guessing

Also, the document had swelled to over 8mg! When it was restored as described above, it was back to under 1mg.

Hi running WIP5D92W and I am not getting my revert to option. Is this a Sierra thing or ???

Had to do a restart to get this back. Cheers!

Randy

hmm… it seems to be working properly for me.

on a side note regarding Sierra and Versions and Rhino, if you use the new desktop syncing feature in macOS, the versions will remain with the .3dm even when the file has been synced to another computer… previously, if you sent a .3dm to a different computer, the versions would be lost upon doing so.

(and on another side note, i like to imagine apple added desktop sync to sierra because of me :slight_smile: … i made the request for this type of functionality a few years back… i never heard back from them for any followup type questions but i was excited to learn the feature has made it to the OS.)

I just had to restart Rhino WIP earlier, good to know because I love Versions. At home now, just got El Capitan running on my MacPro 1,1 but I believe it will not make the cut for Sierra. Waiting to see if Apple announces a new MacPro or i may have to go the laptop route.

apple is announcing new macs this coming thursday… definitely some new laptops, maybe new iMacs, doubtful on a mac pro but i don’t know for sure.

have you considered using an imac?

well I have, the new ones seem great. I am hoping to get another year out of this. I have a 27" iMac @ work and it is fine, maxed out RAM. It was more that I have the monitors and could use the one Cinema display with a laptop. I just had a friend here showing off his MacBook Pro with SSD drive that he uses for video. So I was kinda hooked. X-Mas is coming!

yeah, i really like my mbp…

the new ones will supposedly have a context sensitive OLED touch panel replacing the f-keys…

in my imagination, when you launch rhino, the panel will display custom macros or other functions you choose to assign there… i think it might be pretty neat and probably useful.

that said, it’s only in my imagination… maybe marlin & @dan will have to do some wizardry on it first in order to get it working in rhino.

here’s an accidental leak showing the panel using apple pay / touchID

So Rhino would start up and launch certain macros, depending on the task at hand? Greta idea, eh @dan … ? ( option+; for the ellipses) I can see this being useful when used with templates. Open this template and run this macro, ready to start myNewProject !

I like the merging of application windows with tabs in Sierra. Dan said they are working to use this for floating palettes, for example, in Rhino

1 Like

not startup commands… rhino for windows already has that.

using your recent thread about a macro for Mirror-Y as an example, your keyboard would say ‘Mirror-Y’ up there on the touch panel… so you just push the button to run your macros (well, touch the screen instead of a button).

i have no idea if it’s going to work that way but it seems totally possible if apple opens it up to devs.

i thought i would like the tabs more than i do… i don’t like that there’s another bar added when using them… with palettes, maybe i would use them more but at the same time, i don’t mind the floaty stuff.

right like the image you posted earlier, I wanted that MacBook Pro for 326$, lol. So would you scroll through a list of macros and then press the button when the one you wanted was selected? I misunderstood, I thought it was in the startup screen.

Duh, …

OK, I am on board now. Hopefully this will be a hardware function also added to the physical keyboard for iMac & MacPro users.

[quote=“rhinorudi, post:10, topic:25807, full:true”]
right like the image you posted earlier, I wanted that MacBook Pro for 326$, lol. So would you scroll through a list of macros and then press the button when the one you wanted was selected? I misunderstood, I thought it was in the startup screen.[/quote]

i was thinking more like this:

or maybe something like:

it’s basically a little iPhone screen up there so you should be able to put any picture/text in the bar and it will be sensitive to your touch.

(but again, i don’t actually know if this is how it’s going to work… only guessing… it’s just that it seems it will work this way)

3 Likes

I hear ya’ So this could basically work for any application. Like a little iPhone screen that would change depending on what Application is the FrontWIndow, AppleScript lingo coming through?

So is the keyboard going to become one large touch screen also? I like the images you did, gives it all context. It opens all sorts of possibilities, not sure the programmers will like it though. This coming Thor’s day eh? Let’s see what the future brings.

Best «Randy

yep…thursday… we’ll see

If they release this model (which sounds likely), I’d be disappointed if Apple didn’t announce that they were also allowing third-party developer access to the touch-enabled function row. Until Thursday, we’re all future tripping…myself included.

For the record: my hopes for Thursday are 1) a new MacBook Pro and 2) a new 5k cinema display.

Ok, now I’m taking part in hijacking this thread.

Update: After a restart the problem has gone. Still, I’m wondering what may be causing this. I also had an issue where typing in a command would not bring up the list of guesses in the command line box. It’s as
though some bit of the app gets corrupted over time or some particular mistaken key combo … just guessing

@JKayten Interesting that a restart fixed this. A restart of the mac I presume; not just Rhino? Or? Also, that’s for sharing that this fixed the command autocomplete issue too. I’ve been hearing scattered reports of this as well.

Glad it’s back to normal. I wish I knew what caused it.

-Dan

James’ post is from october 2015
i think hijacking is acceptable after a year :slight_smile:

Whoah, I didn’t notice that. YEAH, the statute of limitations is over on that one. Good catch.

It’s late and I’m still working :wink:

well, i’d like to say ‘hey dan, relax… enough work for today’…

but nah… get back to work !

i kid, i kid…
(and on that note, i think it’s a sign i need to go to sleep now.)

Since you both are sleeping, I hope, I just had to restart Rhino yesterday. I saw that it was a year old, but it was the only item in my search, so reviving / hijacking was called for.