Resizing multiple objects

Something has changed in rhino thats makes resizing multiple objects independently more difficult.
I notice the change with the latest release and have updates to the latest RC just to be sure.

Example:
I have multiple boxes of varying widths and heights. I want to resize the boxes to a fixed height so they are all the same without affecting the width.

Before the last update I was able to accomplish this by selecting the boxes that I want to change and use BoxEdit to adjust them. With the “Transform Objects Individually” box checked, I would type the set number in the Delta Y axis that I want all the boxes to be. All the boxes would retain their original width, but all would have the same height on the X.

With the current release this is not the case. If I change the Y to specified height to 22mm, they just grow by 22mm. This has not always been the case within BoxEdit. Is this a purposeful change? If so, How do I set all the boxes to specified hight at the same time, without affecting width. I can set them individually without a problem. When I select more than one and use “Transform Object Individually”, the resizing changes in behavior. Is there another way of accomplishing with task?

I am using Mac rhino with RC Version 7 (7.12.21299.13002, 2021-10-26)

1 Like

Hi Jason - this should be fixed - can you please try the very latest 7.12 release candidate?

-Pascal

Maybe a video may help explain. I am using the latest RC. I expected that the 22mm I input on the Y would result in all 3 boxes to be 22mm. Is this not how it should work? At least this is how it worked in past releases.

1 Like

I got you now, thanks.
RH-66186 BoxEdit: incorrect sizing
-Pascal

1 Like

FYI… I found that 7.5 does not have this bug. Not sure what changes were made, but i’d thought i give you the version where the BoxEdit is working as it should.

We will just stay with 7.5 until a fix is implemented.

Just wanted to bump this as I found that this bug was present in Rhino V6.
Forum post: Box Edit Help
Not sure if my explanations of my issue have been clear. Hopefully this will help.

The box edit function in which absolute values can be entered rather than a Delta Value was fixed here.
RH-47926

I think this is a regression in V7/V8 we are seeing here. I see a ticket RH-66186 I think this is the same bug that was once in V6. Is this the same issue we are seeing?

Hello Jason, I am having the same issue with rhino 7, I was wondering if you found an alternative way to make objects the same height, without changing the whole scale.

Hello- can you post an example file that indicates what you are starting with and what you’d like the result to be?

-Pascal

No, I see it is on the to-do list to fix, but scheduled for V8. We have resorted to keeping a copy of version 7.52 (4/10 2021) to do the work we need. To my knowledge, that is the last version that BoxEdit worked as it should. Something changed after that release that broke the way groups of objects were scaled individually to a certain size in BoxEdit. Until it is addressed, we will continue to use an older release. Maybe this could be accomplished with a script, but I am not sure. Sorry, I don’t have a better solution.

@pascal I may be wrong, but I think @chrissa is trying to do exactly what I show in my video. They have multiple objects that they want to scale in one direction. They want that dimension to be applied to all the selected objects at the same time, so they are all the same size in that direction.
You can not achieve that in the current version of BoxEdit.

The question remains relevant. I cannot fully work in versions higher than 6 just because I need to change a single size for many parts at the same time. And I don’t want to switch to Grasshopper or use other “crutches” for an elementary function that already existed, but disappeared. Thank you.

1 Like

While the bug is still unfixed and looks like not going to fixed any time soon. I ended up writing a python script allows me to input the desired Y measurement that I need to scale multiple objects in one click. I’ll post it when i get back in the office. Maybe you will find it useful and solves your issue until it’s fixed in rhino.

1 Like

In my situation, I get files that have dozens of objects that very slightly in size. These objects need to be the same height so I can line them up for laser cutting. This is really useful with text as surfaces. When you use Text objects, the font of the text object are never the same height. Scaling all the text to the same Y without scaling the X is vital for me.

This script was written so you select the object you want. Set the measurement that you want you Y value to be. The scripts loops through each one of the selected objects scaling them to that measurement you set. Lasly, It aligns the bottom edges.

Hope you can find this to fit your needs. Thank you @saw-3000 for bumping this thread. I kind of forgot the BoxEdit bug since writing the script. Happy to know that I’m no the only one this bug has affected. If you need something else from this script, I could edit it to help you further get what you need. I’m not the best python guy, but a hack at best. :wink:

ResizeYAligned.py (1.5 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Jason. I really appreciate it. The script really turned out to be very useful, I check and sometimes edit furniture modules and this function is simply necessary. With much respect and gratitude, Andrew.

1 Like