Replacement for T-Splines

Ridiculous pricing for a pluggin…I think I can buy a seat of Rhino for less money. I’m using Fusion 360 and it handles my SubD needs. Plus it’s fillets are the best I have ever tried…and, it works great with Rhino.

1 Like

Where can I buy Cinema4D for less? Only if you want to use it for 6months and not in perpetuity… That’s another story.

It’s pricey but then again it’s a captive market and if you’re using it professionally it’ll pay for itself within a few jobs if you plan it in. If you’re a hobbyist, something’s are out of reach I guess.

As for Fusion 360 - good luck with that…

T-Splines was expensive but it is also invaluable in some instances. Clayoo didn’t have the same tight feeling as T-splines (which it turns out is pretty buggy anyway!) here’s hoping Clayoo 2.5 fills in the gap and then some.

i never used tsplines because i had this pleasure with C4D since i can think off 3d modelling… C4D initially called it Hyper NURBS and converged its name to SubDivision later… which is still just polygons which uses “tendency” but i read into it while also following the never ending quarrels but also seeing the necessity for it.

fiddled around for hours and days trying to find a solution how to avoid this keeping NURBS on the surface. the problem is when trying to make a conjuntion out of 3 parts you always end up creating a 5 sided generally called n-NURBS which does not want to work in Rhino… not sure if there are real n-NURBS i cant find a software which does. if you are skilled enough you can easily model anything of course with NURBS joining, but its a pain and takes time and not a smooth answer of course, this is just one weak point of NURBS in general…

even though i am not a mathematician i still dont seem to understand why making n-NURBS is causing so much trouble… where are the masterminds who can align 2 sides of one NURBS onto another… instead everybody is running crazy with a replacement for something which does not seems to be the real answer anyway.

cant understand why somebody with some skill cant rewrite the algorithm and make n-NURBS happen instead of using cheap tricks which cause problems like t-splines and whatever else you want to call up here…

it was in a special offer yesterday under the promo may the 4th be with you now its the same as clayoo, but it still offers far more in its prime version than just a modeller. i never heard anything about paying monthly fees for maxon products, once you buy it you have it.

I was looking at the system as a whole, not prime I guess:

So that I know for the future, you can mesh model in C4D and convert it to NURBS using the prime version? I might consider this as an alternative to Clayoo if it has more features.

Thanks for the info

oh indeed short term licence. well but thats for studio, if its just for modelling you might get along with the prime version and just buy it. you can interchange nurbs from rhino to C4D via Iges format, never tried the other direction but recently i model more in rhino since i slowly get the hang of how to use NURBS properly… still not a full pro but getting there :slight_smile:

I’m a new Clayoo user, Rhino user since the early 2000s.

First thoughts on Clayoo:

1. It absolutely provides extra functionality a relatively easy learning curve, and is much faster and more nimble than trying to use Rhino’s built-in functions to create complex curved surfaces.

2. It is buggy. And in some major ways. One thing I advise all users to do is to save multiple copies of any file that you’re working with before using Clayoo’s “convert to NURBs” function. I still haven’t figured out why, but often, after you use this function and then save and close, even if you choose the option to not delete the original clay object, when you re-open, the original object becomes stuck as a mesh and can’t be used as clay anymore. If your backups aren’t set up right or if you don’t set aside a duplicate file just for working in clay, you will lose work.

3. While it’s pretty good, it could be a lot better. Clayoo’s in-plugin gumball, for instance, lacks a number of very useful functions that Rhino’s gumball has. You can’t easily relocate the Clayoo Gumball.

You also can’t easily snap clayoo vertices to Rhino objects, which would be extremely useful for working with guide curves, for example. Instead I’ve found myself drawing guide curves and lining up Clayoo vertices with them by eyeball. It’s a pain in the ass, and I don’t quite see why it would be hard to make this function possible. For creating compound curves with fair contours, this kind of thing is essential, without guide curves, doing it by eyeball, you can easily create objects that don’t look wrong on screen but when brought to CNC will have lumps or dents you didn’t foresee. The good news is that you can help avoid this by using the Zebra command in Rhino, which does work on Clayoo objects.

Another annoying bug: Clayoo sometimes creates ghost gumballs that clutter the workspace and that you can’t get rid of without restarting Rhino.

I don’t regret buying Clayoo, but I do hope that 3.0 will integrate better with Rhino and will fix the bugs. And I really don’t get why McNeel is so resistant to putting full fledged SubD in Rhino, native. Are there patent issues? Rhino’s reputation for stability, usability and repeatability are deserved. One would think that if they did implement SubD natively, it’d kick all their competitors’ butts.

Thanks for the detailed update Max3

I only downloaded the demo version and after trying it for a day I was appalled how buggy it was, I’m shocked that companies ship products like this that are not ready to be used in production at all.

[quote=“Max3, post:22, topic:41287”]
And I really don’t get why McNeel is so resistant to putting full fledged SubD in Rhino, native. Are there patent issues?
[/quote] I don’t think so, the reality seems much simpler and straight forward than that: they do not have enough developers to tackle all the pieces of a project like that. And it’s really challenging to find more developers.

If Clayoo solved the stability, display, gumball (use Rhino V6’s one) and snapping issues I think more people would buy it. But it looks to me that since Rafa sold the company the slow development of this product got even worse. I think this is a common problem with most plugging: too small of a market to justify putting more resources to do something right. …this is why my only hope at this point is wait for McNeel to eventually get to solve this problem and in the meantime keep working on Modo. I’m also hopefully that Autodesk can bring a decent solution to Fusion360 based on the faster Pixar SubD smoothing like they did in speedform (instead of only using tsplines) and that they also bring to F360 some of the selection and deformation workflows that Maya now has (pretty decent too as they had to up their game in this area to respond to C4D and Modo).

Yea, thanks for the detailed review. Yikes, sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

While there is certainly an ‘overhead’ issue, back-and-fourth between Rhino and Fusion is quite workable once one gets the hang of it…and further leveraging the strengths of both becomes an asset.

Here’s hoping McNeel finds a way to get its sub-d act together sooner rather than later. In my opinion, do so is the single greatest path to added value, and most pressing addition to v7.

Thank you very much for the review. I have been waiting to hear from someone who uses Clayoo2.

I used Clayoo 1 from its launch pretty much everytime I opened Rhino until about a year ago when I gave up waiting on TDMs...... Rafa and Xaviers… promises and moved to T-Splines.

In Clayoo 1 having Clayoo objects on hidden or locked layers or as locked/hidden objects when you closed a Rhino file could lead them to turning to Mesh on re opening with no ability to reclaim them as Clayoo objects. TDM were aware of this but could not fix it in Clayoo1 as I was told they were busy rewriting the entire code for Clayoo2.

To avoid this, after losing work many times… I made a habit of quarantining my Clayoo objects by periodically exporting them to their own Rhino file.

I set up an alias for this if anyone has a need for it.

!_ClaySelectClayooObjects _Export

At least it sounds like they solved the memory issue where after about 4 hours of work in Clayoo1 it would uses all 16gb of my ram and force a restart…not to mention how slow it would start to make rhino run.

Thanks again for the update. Was hoping for good news but not surprised at this.

1 Like

That’s very likely to be the condition that creates my dead clay problem.

And yes, I’ve experienced it slowing rhino down, but only in Clay edit mode. I’d assumed it was because I’m running it on a three year old Mac in Bootcamp. Am I wrong? Is it some kind of a cache problem and not that I’m underpowered?

The upside for me is that it really does what I need it to do for the most part: it makes flowing, contoured curves for contemporary furniture much easier to create and edit than in Rhino’s native tools.

Does that alias just copy paste into my command shortcuts and work as is?

It is Clayoo not the Mac I would think. I am running a 5 year old i7 MBP in Parallels…T-Splines is so much better that Clayoo 1 was. I dread having to open up an old Clayoo file.

If you turn your smoothing down that should speed Clayoo up in Rhino. I used to have smoothing at 2 most of the time as 3 was really slow IIRC Turning it off all together is the fastest way to work as it is in T-Splines also.

Clayoo 2 I was told is all new code so you would hope they would have fixed that lost Clayoo property issue but perhaps not. Exporting out worked around that for me. If I lost a Clayoo object I would just import it back in.

If the memory issue is still there in C2 then you will see your available memory gradually decrease at the bottom of the Rhino GUI. Turning Clayoo off did nothing to release the memory in Clayoo 1…you had to restart. TDM acknowledged this issue on the old Clayoo forums.

Just create a new alias and paste it in. Should work unless they have changed the commands in Clayoo…which I doubt. I have “cox” assigned to call that command in the command line. Assign whatever you find easy to remember.

I really love to work with sud D what option in 360 exists to export to rhino and work with surface and not with meshes?

Some clayoo user knows if it have a command like pull points in t-splines?

I do not use Clayoo 2 but you can find all the Clayoo 2 commands here.

http://help.tdmsolutions.com/clayoo/2.0/en/Clayoo.html?SubDivision.html

Clayoo match to curve command seems to be the closest I could find to the tsPull command. HTH

1 Like

that is the option what i looking for maybe a going to try clayoo to forget T-splines

STEP export out of Fusion and import into Rhino.

Try…and if it serves your purpose, and/or if a purpose is to remain in Rhino, by all means go for it.

If you are serious and dedicated to your ID work, do yourself a favor and check them both out. One will bubble to the top for you…

but it is not a single surface right? maybe for exploration is good but at the end will have to redraw the object in Rhino.

Is there anything on the market which has the capabilities of T-Splines but is working on Rhino mac?

I guess the current answer would be Fusion 360…

It’s funny. Here I am again with the same problem, and as much as I would like to avoid the learning curve of fusion 360, I think I’m going to lease a year to get a few jobs done. I should had bought T-splines for rhino when I had the chance.

I’ll leave some feedback in a month or so.

The implementation of TS in Fusion is better than it ever was; is easier to learn; has a superior interface - IMO.

Jump in…the water is warm.

1 Like